We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute questions

lexington
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute questions

1. Has anyone attended the summer reggae nights? Any thoughts of overall experience would be appreciated.

2. Is there a better rooftop bar than Vendue Inn? Looking for a good view and atmosphere...

3. What is the best place for desserts and baked goods?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
286 reviews
from US$26.00*
Charleston Food Tour
39 reviews
from US$60.00*
2-Hour Historical Walking Tour of...
86 reviews
from US$20.00*
Charleston Food Tour
100 reviews
from US$60.00*
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute questions

Cypress has a wonderful Grand Mariner souffle. Penisula Grill has wonderfull coconut cake.

What kind of baked goods - sweet things or breads?

I will defer on the rooftop bar and reggae - I never have time for that kind of fun anymore!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute questions

1. - I have not been

2. - Try the rooftop bar at Market Pavillion Hotel

3. - Kaminsky's is very popular but everytime I have gone it has tasted stale and the coffee was served stone cold. Coconut Cake at Peninsula Grill or the Coca-Cola Cake at Jestines. The Key Lime Pie at Noisy Oyster is wonderful but just go for dessert. If you can find Hugenot Torte it is good. I know Middleton Place has it but it is not found easily found here anymore.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute questions

1. Never been (too hot), but my friends have and enjoyed it.

2. There's the rooftop at Market Pavilion. The view is better than at Vendue (since condos ere built up between Vendue and he harbor), but the atmosphere at Vendue is fun.

3. Kaminsky's, or Cupcake on King Street.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute questions

I agree with SCBlossom about Kaminsky's... and I thank her for the key lime pie tip! My hubby is a key lime pie fanatic, so we'll have to try it.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,717 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute questions

I too dislike Kaminsky's. Their stuff always tastes to me like it was made 5000 miles away and shipped in.

Almost all of the downtown restaurants have very nice desserts, you can go to one just for dessert. Market Street Sweets (on Market St.) does not have baked goods, but they do have fantastic fresh made pralines. Addictive. I mail them to friends each year for Christmas. They also have wonderful turtles (altho I think they call them bear claws?).

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute questions

I agree about Kaminsky's, always looks better than it tastes.

I also agree about the Coconut Cake at Peninsula Grill, I've got a DH who bought me a whole cake for my birthday last year (we froze most of it, it kept quite well and we enjoyed it for quite some time thereafter). I also agree w/Endo, I've never had a bad dessert at any of the restaurants we regularly suggest here. One of the more memorable was something very chocolate at 82 Queen.

Rooftop at Market Pavillion is very nice, go early, it gets crowded.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute questions

Hall's Chophouse on King has an amazing Hummingbird cake. I agree with most of the Kaminsky's comments. If you get a chance to get out of Charleston and into the suburbs, the Boulevard Diner does a phenomenal job with dessert. Not as nice an atmosphere as a lot of downtown places, but worth it.

Another place that you might like is Saffron; they have their own bakery and have a lovely outdoor patio.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute questions

OOOOOhhhhh, the Passionfruit Cake at Saffron (or sometimes they call it Mandarin Orange Cake), it's wonderful!!!

lexington
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute questions

Thank you! This info helps a lot!! Saffron seems to be just the place I'm looking for...

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute questions

Reggae Nights is good for the whole family kind of fun. Don’t forget something to sit on.

Henry’s On the Market has a rooftop bar, haven’t been there yet. Market Pavilion rooftop has great views, but overpriced (IMHO) on their drinks. Food is pretty good though. We like the atmosphere at Vendue rooftop. Just last week we stopped by Blind Tiger on the way home after dinner (at Santi’s, yum!) and reaffirmed our love for their back garden. Great atmosphere, totally relaxing, highly recommend it. Another fantastic view (albeit total dive bar) can be found at Salty Mike’s at City Marina and probably best view of the harbor is from California Dreaming, just across the Ashley River Bridge. Average food, but awesome views.

I’m not a sweet eater so I’ll defer to all other recommendations.