We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Durham, North...
7 posts
Save Topic
Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Suggestions for great Charleston water/marina/boats view restaurants for this Friday...lunch or dinner...?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Only one in the Historic District, that is Fleet Landing, food is just okay.

Is this were you will be or are you willing to drive a bit???

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Fleet Landing is my recommendation. Food is fresh, views are great. Clientele an even mix of locals and visitors

Marina Variety Shop restaurant on the opposite side of the peninsula, sits right over the Ashley River near the old West Point Rice Mill. They will have fresh fish but they are not great cooks. Most of the vegetables come out of cans. Clientele mostly local businesspeople, some of the through-traffic boat owners.

Just across the Ashley River, facing the marina, is California Dreaming. Great views of sailboats and glimpses of the historic skyline - church steeples, etc. This is a favorite for families and young couples. Food not objectionable, burgers, nice salads, and some people swear by the french fries.

There's a restaurant/bar atop the "round Holiday Inn" next to the Ashley River. I have not eaten there, but the views are good.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Hey KB, what about

http://www.varietystorerestaurant.com/

You've been there since I have. It's not in the HD, though. I think dkh56 wants to look at boats.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Uh oh, we typed a the same time.

I've been to the HI. Food's okay, but it's a nice place for cocktails. California Dreaming is just too loud for me. The food and views are great though.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

If you want to wander to an island for sunset and dolphin views, I recommend Sunset Cay on folly beach. It has a marina, you can sit outside, small, fresh seafood, and locals.

Another choice is Bowen's Island Restaurant with outiside dining, seafood, and sunset views. Look at their web page. It would be an unique experience.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Marina Variety Store is okay, does have the marina view, huge burgers and I had some very good bacon wrapped scallops there a few weeks ago.

Bowens is good, and then there's Red's Ice House at either Shem Creek or Bohicket Marina. Also Boathouse on IOP...all these depend upon whether or not OP wants to drive or stay in HD, of course.

I'm not a fan of California Dreamin', been to HI only once, it was for drinks, view was nice, but it was back in the days of smoky restaurants and I wasn't happy.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

I would suggest just about any of the restaurants on Shem Creek. I like taking visitors to RBs because of the view. They always enjoy sitting on the dock watching the dolphin. Fleet Landing has a great view and the food has always been good. At California Dreaming, the steaks are big and their salad is divine along with the honey croissants. You usually see dolphin there, too.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,174 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

The closest thing you will find to fine dining with a view is Water's Edge on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. Most of the other places mentioned have decent food, but are by no means fine dining - if that is what you are after.

www.waters-edge-restaurant.com

Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

Went there tonight and the food was quite good- really fresh, too. Sit outside. Just lovely. Fleet Restaurant, that is.

Edited: 18 August 2011, 02:43
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Charleston water/marina view restaurants for this Fri?

I'm with Endo - the best dining overlooking water and boats has to be Water's Edge. Great food - lunch or dinner. The other places on Shem Creek may be fun and have great views but no one's food can hold a candle to Water's Edge.