We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston visit March 2012

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston visit March 2012

Hi, I am from the UK. My husband and I are planning a visit to Charleston next March. We are planning to arrive by train, but I have read somewhere that the Amtrak station is not in a very good area. Will it be easy to pick up a taxi at the station for downtown?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

The Amtrak Station is in an out-of-the way area between a couple of busy highways, behind a poor neighborhood. You are safe in the station but you cant get from there to anywhere else.

All our cabs are phone-in, they dont cruise except maybe to&from the airport and a couple of heavily used grocery stores. My advice is to phone the Station Agent much closer to the time - maybe when you are en route. Ask if many taxis meet the trains. If not, you'll have to phone one of our stellar cab companies once you're in the station.

If you have a hotel reservation, perhaps the place you're staying can send a shuttle.

Amtrak

4565 Gaynor Avenue

North Charleston, SC 29405

(843) 744-8264

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

Where do you land in the US? The trains in the US are awful: late, and uncomfortable. I recommend renting a car. It isn't difficult to drive on the right.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

I have ridden Amtrak up & down the east coast a number of times. For some trips, like Charleston to Washington, it beats a plane. The seats are like airplane seats. You can walk around. These days, air travel is a recess in hell. Don't be afraid to take the train.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

I have also taken the train and it is always several hours late. Sorry but our trains are nothing like the ones over the pond. If you do ride the trian, take the phone number for the taxi and call them just before you get to town. The station is not in an area of that you will want to hang around.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
46 posts
748 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

We arrived at the Charleston Amtrac station in May 2012 after our 11 hr train ride from Wilmington DE. The train was on time. We had made arrangements with a taxi company (Green Cabs) to pick us up 1/2 hr after the expected arrival just in case there were delays. We were surprised to see cabs waiting for potential customers at the station! We tried to use a pay phone to call our cab company, but all 4 phones were disabled so you need a cell phone or ask the station attendants if you can use theirs. The station is indeed located about a 1/2 hr away from historic Charleston - a $30 cab ride - but IMO the location, although isolated, is not in a scary, rundown part of town with homeless residents. The station is in an industrial use area with some smaller homes beside it, but no cafes/shops or anything like that. No one was hanging around except those waiting for the next train or a ride. I felt safe and comfortable while my husband left to find our cab.

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

Thanks retiree for the post about the Amtrak station.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

So glad that it all worked out well for you. How was the rest of your visit to Charleston?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

Thanks retiree for a good update. I have had friends come into Charleston on the southbound Amtrak from DC - the dawn arrival time is inconvenient, but the station is just a few minutes from town, and I'd rather collect people than wonder what's going on! I didnt know cabs met the trains, and I would still recommend that an arriving traveler pre-reserve a taxi.

9. Re: Charleston visit March 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:42