We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

Maryland/New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

We will be spending four days in Myrtle Beach next week. We've heard Charleston is BEATIFUL and want to spend one full day there. Can you all suggest places to see, restaurants, things to do..etc. thanks.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

Arrive early and start by taking a carriage tour. They leave from Anson and Market Street area. The route is determined by a lottery system (regulated by the city) but all routes are nice and are very interesting. All the companies are about the same and all the drivers are required to pass a city tour guide exam. Shop in The Market then head over to Waterfront Park (look for dolphin in the water) and stroll down past the Pineapple Fountain to Exchange Street and go up to East Bay Street. Take a left on East Bay Street and stroll past Rainbow Row (on the right) down to The Battery and White Point Gardens. This is where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean. Look out and see Ft. Sumter where the Civil War started. For a historical house tour, go to either the Edmonston-Alston House (on East Bay Street across from The Battery) or the Nathaniel-Russell House (on Church Street). Continue to stroll through the residential area known as South of Broad (SOB). Shop along King Street. Enjoy some of the art galleries.

On your next trip, you will want to send 4 days in Charleston and one day in MB!

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
774 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

All good stuff from SCBlossom. She didn't touch on food which is one of my favorite topics so I will just focus on that. There are so many awesome restaurants in Charleston it really just depends on what you are into. I used to tell people at a hotel I worked at that I could send them to a bad restaurant in Charleston, but I would pretty much have to do it on purpose. Here are some of my favorites:

Magnolias: Great for lunch or dinner. Lowcountry cuisine/Southern food. Fried chicken is great.

Tristan: Dinner. A wide variety of eclectic cuisine. In my opinion they have some of the best she crab soup in town and my favorite dish in town is an appetizer here...Lamb Ribs with a house made chocolate barbecue sauce. I could eat those lamb ribs all day long.

High Cotton: Dinner. Great steaks, duck, and lowcountry favorites.

Anson's: Dinner. Great double cut pork chop and the crispy fried flounder is delicious. Flounder is fried whole with an apricot glaze and it is awesome.

Slightly North of Broad: referred to as SNOB by a lot of folks it is a great spot for lowcountry cuisine at lunchtime also.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

While all Charleston tour guides are required to take a comprehensive exam to be licensed, I wouldn't say that they are all the same. You'll see from reading reviews of the different carriage companies, that experiences, even with the same company, vary greatly. Just as some doctors, lawyers, and chefs are better than others, so are some tour guides. I've been on the same tour with the same company, but with different guides, and the difference is substantial.

I suggest reading some of the carriage tour reviews and look for ones that mention the tour guide by name.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

I would suggest leaving Myrtle Beach by 7am if you want to have a full day here. There is far too much to see and do it all, even if you stayed all 5 of your days here. One day will give you a nice little taste, but will barely scratch the surface of what Charleston offers.

At the top right of this page is "Top Questions about Charleston", I would suggest reading over that to get some ideas of what interests you and you can try to make some decisions about what you most want to do in the short time you have available.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

Get great seafood at Amen Street Fish and Rawbar. Fleet Landing has a great water view and one of the very few places in town with that view.

Amen Street Seafood and Raw Bar @ 205 East Bay Street, Charleston, SC 843 - 853 - 8600.

http://www.amenstreet.com/

Fleet Landing Restaurant @ 186 Concord St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 722 - 8100.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

Maryland/New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

Thanks so much. You all are great for taking the time to respond.

Cape Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
246 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

Have a drink at the roof top bar at the Market Pavillon Hotel on the corner of East Bay and Market. It is a great place to see the city from some height. Also drinks are good and a fun place to people watch.

To know Charleston you really have to walk around. If you can stay overnight for one night and then return to Myrtle Beach. you should really do it, You wont regret it. Hotels in Charleston are pricey but if you stay Sunday -Thurs. nights they are a lot cheaper. The price for most places doubles on a Friday or Saturday night.

The first time I visited Charleston(4 years ago) I flew into Myrtle Beach and then visited Charleston. I did not want to leave. I have been to Charleston 10 times since and I never tire of the city. There is such good energy and there is nothing like getting up in the morning and walking around the city.

If you are looking for really good food at reasonable prices a few other places to try are Virginia's on King, Hominy Grill on Rutledge Sermets Corner on King, Mellow Mushroom on King (for pizza). We have also found some good Happy Hour spots with inexpensive food, Social on East Bay is a good spot.

Enjoy Charleston, you will be planning your next visit on your way home. Don't forget your camera.

8. Re: ONE day at Charleston..suggestions PLEASE???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 13:16