We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

girlfriend long weekend

Taylor, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
girlfriend long weekend

4 friends coming to Charlston in November for a long weekend. Our theme is eating, drinking and shopping not necessarily in that order. Any suggestions? What about entertaiment or nightlife? We are in our late 40's.

Charleston Brews Cruise
Beer Tastings & Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
The Original Pub Tour of Charleston
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: girlfriend long weekend

3 1/2 quick questions: Will you have a car, have you already selected a place to stay & estimated budget on dining options (low, moderate or all star foodies)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: girlfriend long weekend

To help you get started.... if you have not already done so - read over Top Questions About Charleston at the top right of this page. Also, look over some of the other Charleston Forum posts, you will find tons of info on restaurants, shopping, etc.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: girlfriend long weekend

Entertainment & nightlife. What a range of options you have.

Karaoke? Theatre? Art gallery walks? Concerts?

Look at the local paper, Post-Courier, online.

Look at the free paper, http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/

Give us an idea of what your group might enjoy, and we can offer suggestions.

Taylor, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: girlfriend long weekend

Thanks for the replys. We will not have a car and we will be staying at the Ansonborough Inn. Our budget is moderate but we are willing to go exspensive for something that interests us. We would like to tour the historic district and shop during the day, with a stop for a nice lunch. After dinner we would like some sort of entertainment: comedy club? theater? piano bar or other bars with entertainment? We would appreciate any suggestions!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: girlfriend long weekend

Janice: I fit snugly in your age group & interest range, so I totally understood your post, just needed a budget range and whether or not you would be venturing out of the HD. Ansonborough is a very good choice. They have a nice little cocktail lounge and a wonderful rooftop to enjoy.

Theatre 99 is fun http://theatre99.com/index2.php for comedy and improv – and easy on the budget. For more of a theater experience: http://charlestonstage.com.

Pearlz Oyster Bar has excellent happy hour prices on food & drink.

The Griffon & the Rooftop bar at Vendue both have live music, usually no cover charge. I am also fond of The Blind Tiger on Broad St. Be sure to go out to the walled garden in back. Blind Tiger also has a pretty good Sunday Brunch.

If you are here on Sunday night, check out Wild Wings – Plane Jane usually plays on Sundays and they are a fantastic cover band, you won’t regret it.

My favorite splurge for lunch is the BBQ Shrimp & Grits at 82 Queen – eat in the courtyard. Many people recommend Jestine’s, and while I do like her fried chicken & sweet tea, I don’t like waiting in line. Other reasonable spots include Fast & French on Broad St., Yo! Burrito on Wentworth and I like Coast for seafood (dinner). I also really like Basil (Thai) and Wasabi (sushi). I’m not real high on the food, but Bubba Gumps on the Market has exceptionally good Bloody Marys.

You won’t have any trouble at all with shopping. Start at the Customs House end of Market St. (I prefer the shops on each side to the actual market, but it shouldn’t be too crowded in Nov.) and wander straight up to King St. Be sure to check out the Farmer’s Market on Saturday (Marion Square). November will be good Christmas shopping there with all the local craftsmen (and craftswomen).

For just seeing the sights, one of my favorite walks is from the Customs House, down East Bay, (stop in Charleston Cooks! and Harbor Specialties) then hang a left on Vendue Range (Griffon is on the left as is Indigo – a great little shop), walk out to the waterfront and follow down to where it comes out on East Bay behind the Old Exchange building. If you like craft beers, check out The Beer Exchange on Exchange St. Come back out onto East Bay St. and follow down to the battery. Cross through the park and walk back up Meeting St. to Broad – cross over to Church St. Dock St. Theatre is free to tour, and there are several interesting cemeteries. This will bring you back to the Market area. Here’s a walking map: www.charlestoncvb.com/pdf/chaspenmap.pdf and here’s a similar tour from Church St. to Tradd to the battery: explorecharleston.net/WalkingTours/South_of_…

Just put on some comfortable shoes and start walking. You & your friends will love it here.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: girlfriend long weekend

Just make sure you have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ when shopping on King Street!!!!!!

I'm very jealous of your girlfriend weekend! Enjoy!!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: girlfriend long weekend

Some dinner spot worth the splurge....

FIG www.eatatfig.com

Magnolia's www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com

Hank's www.hanksseafoodrestaurant.com

High Cotton www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: girlfriend long weekend

Ahhhh, Indigo, that's the little place I was trying to think of a few days ago and couldn't remember the name.

Agree w/Endo on special dinner spots.

You might see if you can get into a class at Charleston Cooks...most of them are early afternoon and are $25...includes a light meal (which you watch them prepare), including a glass of wine...not a bad deal at all. You also receive 10% off in the store.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: girlfriend long weekend

You might also consider Cypress for dinner.

You can see a lot on your own with maps from the websites mentioned by Aimlessamos. If you're interested in a guided tour, there's one to meet just about any interest. Most are listed on TripAdvisor... tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54171-Activitie…

The Charleston Visitors Center website has a calendar of events along with lots of good info on things to do. charlestoncvb.com/visitors/…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: girlfriend long weekend

I agree with lunch in the garden courtyard at 82 Queen for real "old Charleston" atmosphere.

You also might consider lunch at Husk, which is currently ranked as Bon Appetit's top new restaurant in the United States. Husk is located in a beautifully restored old Charleston mansion - retaining the historic elements, but with lovely contemporary finishes - just two doors down from 82 Queen.

Despite the ranking of Husk, and its high-end reputation, lunch entrees at Husk are surprisingly affordable. And, since portions are ample, there is no need for most "girls" to order multiple courses. I love the shrimp and grits at Husk. They offer lots of unusual and creative preparations of seasonal southern food, but hamburger with wedge potatoes is on the menu if that suits your mood. Be sure to save room for dessert!

Husk welcomes walk-ins even when they have committed their allowable reservations. If you have to wait a little while, you can stroll over to the Preservation Society shop on King Street to browse for a few minutes.