We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

Well, we finally tried the new place in Mt. Pleasant, and it pretty much lived up to our expectations, which were not good. We went to one in Florida a couple of years ago and had a bad experience.

Lunch today... fried spring rolls were oozing grease. Lo mein was really greasy, too. The other entree was the double pan-fried noodles. The noodles were soggy and tough. Service wasn't very good either. Empty glasses on table just crying for a refill. LONG time between app and entree.

The fast food, takeout Chinese in the Bi-Lo shopping center next door is better.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

There was recently an expose on TV about their dishes and they are some of the very worst for you of practically anywhere!! I don't recall the individual dishes they profiled, but one of them had an entire WEEKS worth of sodium in one entree!!! Almost all of them had enough fat and sodium for 2-3 days of your weekly reccommendations. I will never go there.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

Oh, dear. My father-in-law loves going to the P.F. Changs near him in Ohio. That may be because he lives alone, eats healthy at home (he's a retired M.D.), and rarely gets the exotic taste of high sodium and high fat. Thanks for the report.

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

I love their shrimp with candied walnuts....and I see it has less calories than I would have thought considering its lusciousness.

Here's the nutritional breakdown:

www.pfchangs.com/menu/NutritionalInfo.aspx

Always order the same thing in P.F. Changs.... will do the same in Mt. P.. Though I don't stand for not having my water refilled. I either find the pitcher myself or go have a talk with the hostess. I have noticed that wait staff from "off" don't seem to refill beverages as well as those from SC. If I hear a non-Southern accent, I usually go ahead and ask for a couple of glasses of water or that a pitcher be put on the table. Kind of freaks them out, but better than their tip reflecting my thirst.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 19:51
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

For us, it wasn't even a question of the "healthy" part today. You could wring out the spring rolls, and the lo mein was sitting in a pool of oil. It was just nasty.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

Unfortunately, you can't put much stock in the printed "nutritional info". There have been many studies, for all types of restaurants, that show it is variable depending on who is doing the cooking, etc. Consumer Reports showed that the actual restaurant dishes usually are higher in fat/sodium than the printed info. Often drastically higher. Even many Lean Cuisine frozen entrees did not live up to the printed info.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 20:30
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

Well, I'm surprised that there is even a discussion on a restaurant you can visit in most any American city.

I like Outback, Steakhouse but you don't see me discussing it on this board as people want to hear about the local flavor.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

CultureHound, I'm with you. When we travel, we refuse to eat at chains, particularly those where we could eat at home. Especially when visiting the Low Country! ;-)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

I take a different view about discussion of chain restaurants and chain hotels on the travel forum. In particular, if a chain location isn't living up to the expected chain standards of familiarity and consistency, travelers need to know about the problem.

Chain restaurants fill an important niche for travelers who don't have the luxury to grab a simple comfort meal at home. Pressure to try something new and special for every meal is exhausting. In deciding where to go for dinner after a day of touring or at the beach, tired families (many who visit Charleston follow fast-paced itineraries!) might reasonably opt for the chain restaurant's "known quantity" in menu, time, and cost.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

I rarely EVER go to chains, but for many people, especially with kids, the chains are a must have option for at least a few meals.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: P.F. Changs - Skip this one!

Exactly, kiawahvilla. We've been on many a road trip, where after a long drive, we just want to stop to grab something without thinking too hard about it before checking into a hotel. It's late, we're tired, and we'd rather opt for a halfway decent chain than fast food.