We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling by plane from Boston

Worcester...
2 posts
Save Topic
traveling by plane from Boston

I am trying to decide how best to fly into Charleston .How far away are the surrounding or available airports for a flight that originates in Boston .Any ideas? Thanks

Rita

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

Charleston is your best bet for flying to SC. Southwest flies here and also into Greenville, SC (about 3.5 hour from Charleston). Atlanta is 5 hours (plus, depending on time of day, traffic, etc) away and Charlotte is about 3.5 hours away.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

Not quite sure what the question is, but as Endo stated, if you are coming to Charleston, then your best bet is to fly to Charleston.

Delta usually flies through Atlanta, USAir flies through Charlotte. Easy connection to fly on to Charleston and a lot less driving.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

I see that you are from Worcester. You could fly into Myrtle Beach with Direct Air right from Worcester. It is a nonstop flight and I have used it several times. The drive from Myrtle Beach is easy...straight down rte 17. It does take almost 2 hours to get here though, but it is a nice drive. It is approximately 95 miles from Myrtle Beach to downtown Charleston. Considering the time it takes to get to Logan, and then any layovers, it probably will take less time to get here using Direct Air out of Worcester. Of course, another option is to fly right into Charleston, but I have not found any direct flights from Boston, Providence, or Hartford, and the flights are more expensive. I wouldn't fly into Charlotte. That is a LONG drive...200 miles from here.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

I fly from Boston to Charleston fairly often. US Airways I think has the most choices and flies through many different cities, with Charlotte being one that has a lot of choices. It may be a good choice for winter months. I try to avoid the last flight of the day out of Charleston that connects to Boston because Charleston airport is small and if it is delayed there are likely not any other options that will let you make your connection.

There are no nonstops on any airline between Boston and Charleston

I usually try to fly Southwest, though, because they have a few direct flights that stop, usually in Baltimore, but you do not have to change planes, thus you don't have to worry about missing a connection and the trip is faster. You don't even get off the plane. But there aren't too many of these and they may not fit your schedule. Also, Southwest does not charge for bags and there is better legroom.

Charleston airport is less than a half hour from the downtown.

Edited: 07 November 2011, 20:52
Worcester...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

Why are flights to Charleston sooooooexpensive from the Northeast?

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

The reason for the expense is because most flights to Charleston use "regional jets", or planes that are smaller than standard Boeing 737s / Airbus 320s which are far less fuel efficient than those aircraft. Due to escalating oil prices, the airlines have to justify the costs of operating these planes, so the prices unfortunately get jacked up.

That being said though, Southwest flies only with 737 aircraft, and because it's a bigger plane and therefore more comfortable, I would suggest looking at Southwest out of Manchester, NH.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 18:37
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

Charleston is a major(!!) tourist destination, but is not so important for business travel. CHS airport is small. Most of the planes flying into CHS are "regional jets", with limit capacity. Thus, higher fares, especially at popular times for vacationers.

The closest big airport, with lots of flights on large planes, is Charlotte, NC (airport code CLT). If you have the time, and are renting a car anyway, you might look for deals into Charlotte.

You could also look for flights into Columbia SC (airport code CAE), which is about 2 hours from Charleston.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

Flances, keep an eye on Southwest. My mother came to visit and she flew from Providence to Charleston for just over $200 roundtrip. Directair has a family ties sale going on until February 12. The cost is $179 and you could fly into Myrtle Beach.

9. Re: traveling by plane from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:17