We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

We will be doing a day trip to Charleston this Tuesday, 11/22. We have tickets for a one-hour carriage tour, but that's it.

The tour time is flexible.

Can you help with a non-touristy lunch spot with terrific local cuisine?

Also, where should I take my son? I read a review that said the Children's Museum of the Lowcountry was better for younger kids (5 or under) -- that's why half our day opened up. :-)

Would like to keep costs conservative and prefer no aquarium -- being from Florida, we certainly have our share of waterlife.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Oyster Point Historic Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Palmetto Carriage Works
Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Charleston in a Nutshell
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sumter
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Bring him to the SC State Aquarium.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 22:56
Sumter
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Bring him to Charlestowne Landing.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

You will be in the Historic District, so it is touristy...your youngster might enjoy Fleet Landing, right on the water, view is great, food is so-so.

Beyond your carriage ride, your time might be best spent just walking, wandering the HD. Visit the Waterfront Park w/swings and take a load off, just walk the streets, peering into gardens, taking in the cannons at White Point Gardens, don't plan too much, just walk and take it all in.

Charlestowne Landing is a ways outside the HD, so that is something that is more than likely for another day, when you have more time.

How about a ride on the water taxi, just over to Mt. Pleasant and back, see if you can spy some dolphins along the way.

Just relax and enjoy the time w/nothing in particular planned.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Unfortunately, the Charleston Water Taxi has shut down for the season (Nov.14). It will reopen temporarily Dec. 27-31, then close again till SEWEE.

The Brass Pirate offers a self guided scavenger hunt ($30 for up to 4 people) and can take up to 2 hrs (3 if you stop for lunch). It is a great way for adults and children alike to enjoy the sights and history of Charleston and still keep the young ones engaged. I have done it and truly enjoyed it. They provide you with a treasure map with clues & a compass. At the end, everyone gets a prize. Here’s the link: www.thebrasspirate.com/treasure_hunt.html and here’s some reviews on TA: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54171-d12…

The tour starts and ends at Rainbow Market (on N. Market St.) Early on in the hunt you’ll run across some very good places to dine (but they are very early in the walk) SNOB, Magnolia’s, Blossom. About midway through, you’ll be near 82 Queen. If the weather is nice, eat in the courtyard. I haven’t been in a while, but I’ve noticed Poogan’s Porch has been getting very good reviews lately as well. About ¾ of the way through you’ll visit the Powder Magazine. Toast is near here, another favorite.

The Charleston Pirate Tour also gets great ratings (I haven’t done this one yet): tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54171-d20…

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Aimless, I remembered after I posted that the water taxi parks itself for the winter, good for you to catch that one, thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

The Old Exchange Building on East Bay Street at the foot of Broad Street (close to Fleet Landing and Waterfront Park) has costumed interpreters and animatronic pirates in the basement dungeon. It's pitched at about a second-grade level.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Magnolia's would be my choice for lunch. We've been taking our daughter there since she was a toddler, and she loves it.

You are absolutely correct about the Children's Museum. Our daughter pretty much lost interest at about 4 or 5 years old.

Something else that our daughter stil enjoys is taking some bird seed to White Point Gardens to feed the pigeons. It's a great way to sneak in some history, see some great architecture and the harbor, and he can feed pigeons and climb on the cannons in the park.

Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

TA simply has the BEST forums. Quick, honest and thorough responses. I appreciate each one of them -- thank you.

@MikeStone: Is there a name for this experience? Sounds like we're not coming out alive at first read. ;-)

@IOP: LOVE the pigeon idea. Last I checked, that sort of thing is still free, right? ;-)

@Aimless: Scavenger hunts sound fun. Will look at links in flight tomorrow. Do any of the restaurants you mention stand out as great for a kid in tow? He's pretty sophisticated as far as 6-year-olds go, but if there's an interesting component to the establishment, even better. I saw one vote for Magnolia's from another poster. Thank you.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 04:43
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

The only cost of feeding the pigeons is getting some birdseed, which you can find at the Harris Teeter grocery store on East Bay Street, which is just a couple of minutes from the Battery. BTW... White Point Gardens is the park that is at the Battery.

No special interest for kids at any of the better restaurants... except good food! Of interest at Poogan's Porch, though, is the sweet story of Poogan. He's the little dog, who is the namesake of the restaurant... and is still said to be there. If you're eating on the porch and feel something tug at your pantsleg or napkin... no worries... it's just Poogan looking for a handout :) This is our daughter's favorite Charleston ghost story... and she knows them all!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Needs Lunch & Activity Ideas for 1/2 Day with 6-Year-Old

Old Exchange building

http://oldexchange.org/