We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Coral Springs...
5 posts
Save Topic
Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Help!!! But don't tell my wife.

I am a TA 'anal retentive' junkie and have been for many years. TA has been my travel bible, and the reviews, advice and suggestions I get are so important that I refuse to book a trip until I complete my due diligence.

Well here's my plight:

My oldest son is graduating from college December 15th, and starts his new job in Charleston on the week of January 9th, 2012.

We have to do a housing hunting trip for him anyways, so my wife and I thought: Wow, why not combine it with a family vacation in the Historic District of Charleston to get him (and us) acclimated for our soon to be second home.

Here's the issue, and I admit, I failed miserably (my wife doesn't know yet, please don't tell her):

My lovely wife asked me to book the trip last month, and I told her, honey don't worry, it's the off season, I'll take care of it, well I never did.

Yes, because of scheduling conflicts and other commitments, we can only visit Charleston between Christmas and New Years and that's a problem since the top places seem to be already booked.

We would like to spend like 6 or 7-days getting acclimated to the area, enjoy the HD, see the sights, taste the food, enjoy the life and find our son housing.

I just never thought it would be so busy at TA favorite hotels, Inns and rentals this time of year, yea, I know dummy me. Live and learn.

Well if the stars line up perfectly, and if I'm still happily married, I will be traveling with my lovely wife, and two adult (23/18) sons, one soon to be employed in Charleston.

If money is no object now, and I want to have the trip of a life time, your help is now needed, any worthwhile suggestions?

Signed,

Soon to be in separate beds in Florida

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Did you look into renting through VRBO or a realtor and getting a condo or carriage house? If you do not find anything on VRBO there are several real estate companies that do short term rentals. I know that Dunes Properties has an office on King St. (http://www.dunesproperties.com/), I would also check out Historic Charleston Bed and Breakfast (http://historiccharlestonbedandbreakfast.com/), and I am sure there are others. Did you check out the Restoration on King (http://restorationonking.com/)? Built as condos and turned into a hotel with a great location.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

I plugged those dates into kayak.com and it showed availability at Charleston Place:

charlestonplace.com/web/…charleston_place.jsp

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Doubletree shows rooms.

You might check places at the beach, Kiawah would be great or Isle of Palms, which is a little closer to Charleston. Either of these would give you the opportunity to travel in and become a little more familiar with the areas surrounding Charleston, itself.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

I second Charleston Place. It's my favorite hotel in the city. Be sure to have dinner one night at Charleston Grill. Enjoy your visit.

charlestonplace.com/web/…charleston_place.jsp

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Have you considered Folly Beach (15-20 minute drive into downtown Charleston) or Sullivan's Island for rentals? We stayed in a fabulous house on Folly and loved doing both the beach and all that downtown Charleston has to offer.

Hope it all comes together for you and your family!

Enjoy

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

I agree with Charleston Place. You might check out their Club Level floors or treat your wife to high tea for more pampering. Good luck...we won't tell your wife!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

One search that I did showed that Planters Inn was booked and another showed availability. You might want to select several locations and call them to see if there are any cancellations.

Some of my searches showed rooms at the Hampton Inn, historic district, the Renaissance, Double Tree, historic district and Planters Inn. Altho not all of them showed rooms - worth checking into. My searches did show Charleston Place as booked tho. :-(

Edited: 07 December 2011, 23:22
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Governors House Inn website is showing availability: http://www.governorshouse.com/

I spoke with someone today that told me The Elliot House Inn has reopened (only about a month ago), they may have rooms simply because they’ve been shut down for complete renovations that took longer than expected. It’s not extravagant, but certainly worth a try. www.elliotthouseinn.com/accommodations.php

The Ansonborough Inn website is down, so I would call them as well – availability may not be feeding into the other systems: 21 Hasell Street Charleston, SC 29401

(843) 723-1655

The Woodlands is in Summerville, about 35 minute drive, but if money is no object, it’s 5 diamond & website indicates availability. http://www.woodlandsinn.com

The Sanctuary on Kiawah Island (again, a 35-40 minute drive to historic dist.) also shows availability: kiawahresort.com/accommodations/the-sanctuary

If desperate times call for desperate measures:

Marriott Courtyard Waterfront isn’t the most desirable location for walking (it’s not in historic district) but it does have gorgeous views of the marina and Ashley River traffic – and it shows availability: 21 Hasell Street Charleston, SC 29401

(843) 723-1655

Coral Springs...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Wow, you guys and gals are travel experts and so incredibly helpful.

Please keep your wonderful ideas flowing until I get myself out of trouble.

I will start calling some tomorrow, and one way or another, I hope to be toasting a drink to my new Charleston friends, neighbors and travel buddies, of course the drinks are on me.

PS-If you know any great annual rentals by the Naval Weapons site off of Old Tom Road, in a safe, secure area for my son, please let me know.

I guess he can pay $1,000.00-$1,300.00. a month and is looking for a 2-bedroom, 2-bath. I was told to stay away from N. Charleston, and to look at Daniel Island, Summerville and Mt. Pleasant.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money is no object, 25th to 1st of year-please read

If you really want to treat your family and don't mind the extra driving to get into town, The Sanctuary on Kiawah is extremely festive between Christmas and New Years. The drive in/out of Charleston is long, but easy, and takes your through beautiful lowcountry scenery.

As to the apartment search, Mt Pleasant and Daniel Island are great locations. West Ashley, where many new condominium units and homes have been built in the last few years and which enjoys all suburban conveniences, should be on your list. You also might consider new developments on Johns Island. In my opinion, Summerville seems too remote from downtown Charleston for a new graduate with a new job in a new city (unless Summerville has become a magnet for young people since I last visited)