We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Park Roses

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Park Roses

When would be the best time to see the roses in Hampton Park (peak blooming)? We are planning a trip for May 14th.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Park Roses

I would not plan a trip around the roses at Hampton Park. The city does a nice job of keeping the flowerbeds planted but Hampton Park is not a destination garden. It's a public greenspace.

Mid-May is past peak season for azaleas, camellias long gone. Look at the Charleston Horticultural Society's site to get ideas for garden touring.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Park Roses

The wonderful antique roses at Hampton Park start blooming at the

end of April and go into May. I am an expert so PM me If you need more info .

Edited: 27 December 2011, 02:51
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Park Roses

The trip isn't planned around Hampton Park. I'm a big gardener and always check out flower gardens around the country, small ones and as you call it, destination gardens. I've been to Hampton Park before for the azaleas at the beginning of April. I'm just trying to determine if it is worth a drive out to Hampton Park while we are already in Charleston. Trying to determine the peak rose blooming time.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Park Roses

I live a few blocks from Hampton Park. I have been there with my dog at least three times a week for the last five years. I am a gardener from a gardening family, and I can think of no reason for rose fanciers to make a trip to Hampton Park, which is adjacent to The Citadel. Hardly a "drive out" - you can get there on the city bus.

On the other hand, you're probably more sophisticated than I am.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Park Roses

Hampton Park has one of the best collections of Noisette Roses in the entire country. Ruth Knopf, our local, and famous, rose expert, helped find and plant antique roses. They are stunning in spring and the under plantings are wonderful.

MikeStone just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don''t exist. And you are probably correct. It's so easy to be more so sophisticated.

6. Re: Hampton Park Roses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:19