We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

We are thinking about flying into Charleston from UK and then going to Savannah before driving down to Sanibel Island, Florida.

How many days should we spend in the various places on the way.

Time is not a problem as we are retired, and we love to see what is available in the regions we visit.

The month of April 2012 is the time we are thinking about.

Information about accom: car hire, etc would be welcome.

Having not ever visited the area before all info: would be of great help.

Thank you

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

Did you want to rent a car or have a car with driver?

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

We will hire a car.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

What a wonderful trip! And, lucky you for having time to explore!

I suggest you fly into Charleston. Car hire (called "car rental" in the USA) is available at CHS (Charleston International Airport) from all of the major US rental companies. Hertz and Avis are the biggest companies, and will have locations - if needed - all along your route to Sanibel. Monthly rates are generally much lower than daily or weekly rates for rental cars, so be sure to inquire.

Early April is a wonderful time to visit Charleston and Savannah, as the gardens will be in bloom. Since April is very popular with visitors, make your hotel reservations as soon as possible.

I would recommend 3 or 4 full days in the Charleston area, and 2 full days in Savannah. Charleston is much larger than Savannah, with more to see and do; and, Charleston's nearby Ashley River plantations, with their lovely gardens and colonial homes, require a day. In Charleston, you may enjoy the Historic Charleston Foundation's "Festival of Houses and Gardens", which is a unique opportunity to visit private homes and gardens rarely open to the public. historiccharleston.org/news_events/festival.…

On your journey from Charleston, don't miss small but historic Beaufort, South Carolina, with its ancient live oaks, gracious residences, and beautiful waterfront. Heading on from Savannah, please also visit St Augustine, Florida, which is the oldest European (Spanish) city in the United States.

Happy planning.

Edited: 30 December 2011, 21:00
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

I would agree with kiawah in spending at least 3 full days in Charleston. Beaufort is definitely worth your time, and I would suggest staying the night there or stopping by for the day on the way between Charleston and Savannah. More info on Beaufort (pronounced BYEW-fert) below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c148454/Beaufo…

I also recommend St. Augustine... beautiful place for a night's stay as well.

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

Thank you both for replying so quickly. I will certainly look up all the information you have given me and then come back to TA when we have more or less made a plan. It is so useful to get 'local' knowledge when one is visiting from afar....thank you

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

I second 3/4 days in Charleston and at least 2 days in Savannah. Stay in the HD in Charleston and Savannah so you can walk to all the great places to visit there. St. Simons Island and Amelia Island are two good spots to visit for a night or two. Enjoy your visit.

7. Re: Visiting Charleston before driving down to Sanibel Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:19