We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deli's in Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Deli's in Charleston

Are there any deli's or supermarkets in Charlestons historic district? Also, is it worth going to sommerville for the day? Thanks!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deli's in Charleston

There is a Harris Teeter in the "historic district". It is on East Bay St. That's probably the closest one. If you are spending a lot of time in Charleston (greater than 1 week) then it might be worth going to Summerville, but I wouldn't really tell you to do it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deli's in Charleston

As suggested, Harris Teeter is the grocery store of choice downtown. There is a Piggly Wiggly on Meeting Street as you're getting of I-26 but I won't recommend it.

As for delis, unfortunately, Charleston is not really a deli kind of town (one of the things I've missed since moving back home from the north). My favorite spot for sandwiches in town is actually a place called the Majestic Grill on King Street (just south of Calhoun Street). It's named after an old movie theatre and all the menu is movie themed. They show movies every day at noon and 6PM so it does get a little crowded with college students around those times. The owner and his wife (both native Charlestonians --- which in Charleston means not only were they born here but so were their parents and their grandparents) are usually in there and are super friendly.

I second the suggest about skipping Summerville. It is a great little town (actually grew up there) but there's not much in the way of tourist sites. When all the azeleas are in bloom, it is quite lovely for a stroll but if your time is limited, stay in Charleston.

Enjoy your visit!

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deli's in Charleston

Thanks ever so much for your info. Lots of help. One last question-are there any dolphin tours? Thanks again!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deli's in Charleston

Yes, there are some "dolphin-tours", but most prefer to call them eco-tours. The one I can think of now is www.nature-tours.com. An option of theirs is going to Capers (a barrier Island) which is something that is just beautiful with really large seashells, and feels like you are so alone in the world. It is only reachable by boat. And you can pack a picnic, play bocce, etc, and this company will take you there if you don't have personal access to a boat. Plus, you can see dolphins on the way (maybe).

Charleston
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deli's in Charleston

If you are thinking of a casual Deli for lunch the most frequently mentioned is East Bay Deli. They have great fresh sandwiches! You might also want to consider Aarons Deli (owned by Hymans), Bubba Syles, Brents on Broad (a more local place for lunch), Five Loaves Cafe (inside Millenium Music), or Teds Butcherblock on East Bay makes gourmet pre-made sandwhiches. You could take your lunch and enjoy in one of the many parks we have around town.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Deli's in Charleston

Thanks for telling me about the Deli's in Charleston. Everyone else said that there were none. I looked them up on the net and East Bay Deli is just what we are looking for. One more question-someone told me that when I am in Charleston in May, I will see tons of large bugs, I believe they are called Palmetto bugs. Is this True? Thanks again for your help!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deli's in Charleston

You can find Palmetto bugs throughout the year, not just in May! They're not so bad. The really big ones can get up to about 2 inches, but they aren't going to come after you or anything. They like oak trees, and all kinds of places, but again, nothing to worry about.

Trust me, Palmetto bugs have nothing on sand gnats. The gnats are really tiny, and are nothing more than flying teeth. They will absolutely drive you crazy, so be prepared to run and get some bug spray. Since we've had such a mild winter, expect them little boogers to be out in force this summer; heck, they nearly ate me alive a little while ago while I was outside. They don't hurt so much as cause little itchy bumps.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Deli's in Charleston

Okay, now I am freaked out about these snad gnats--are they a problem if you stay in town or just at the beach??? Mid-late April bad or not? Do the Palmetto bugs fly? Thanks---

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Deli's in Charleston

Yes, the palmetto bugs do fly, I was told. I worry they will be in my hotel room! How gross. I would also like to know more about the sand gnats. If they are also in town.All I know is that I am bringing plenty of bug spray.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deli's in Charleston

Capt, I hate to break it to you but the Palmetto bugs don't always respond to the spray...they scurry away pretty quickly. While you do see them around town, it usually outdoors...though they have been know to make their appearance indoors and even in hotel rooms (even the finest in town). The good news is that Palmetto bugs are not generally a sign of filth...it's the little "cockroaches" that generally mean a place is dirty. There's an old Charleston saying that the Palmetto bugs are our ancestors coming back to check on us...I know it sounds gross but it really is quite a charming little saying.

My advice is to hang purses and back packs on the back of chairs rather than placing them on the ground especially when dining outdoors...that way you don't have to worry about any stow-aways getting in your bags.

They do tend to be nocturnal creatures so it's not like you're going to see them all the time...as a matter of fact, most folks rarely notice them.

Don't worry about them and just enjoy your visit!