We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why so expensive?

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
238 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Why so expensive?

Is there a big event going on around April 25 - 29th? Slightly "above average" hotels in the Historic District running 350-500 a night? We're into Ritz Carlton price territory. Why so expensive?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why so expensive?

Charleston consistently ranks in the top 10 US city destinations (see http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-choice/2011/united-states/top-10-cities-usa#slide=1) and April is prime blooming season for our beautiful gardens. Add to that the almost perfect climate the mild April temperatures bring.

Our tourist season kicks off mid February with the South Eastern Wildlife Expo (SEWE) and doesn't really slow down till November, although recently, the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons have become more popular. April and October are the peak months and prices will reflect that. Did you try Charleston Place or French Quarter Inn?

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
French Quarter Inn
French Quarter Inn
3,127 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why so expensive?

Hotels in and near the "historic district" (southern end of the Charleston peninsula) are generally more expensive than those in the rest of "downtown" or those just across the bridges. Even a "slightly above average" property in the HD benefits from the wonderful surroundings and proximity to fine dining, historic sites, parks, waterfront, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why so expensive?

Try Mills House or Harborview if FQI does not work out. Where have you tried?

Boston
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why so expensive?

Take a look at Lastminutetravel.com If you are at all familiar with the Historic District Hotels you can sometimes tell what hotel it is by looking at the photos. I just got a very good deal at Charleston Place for the beginning of March. It's the same weekend as the Food & Wine Festival (that's not why I'm going, it's just coincidence). Everything is sky high, but I got Charleston Place for $220.

Also, take a look at the Francis Marion. It's a nice hotel, but they seem to tend to be more reasonable.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Francis Marion Hotel
Francis Marion Hotel
3,182 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why so expensive?

I plugged your dates into kayak.com. It showed Days Inn and Doubletree for under $250.

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
238 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why so expensive?

Thanks everyone. Charleston Place seems to be my preferred choice. Right now it starts at $395 for the dates I'm interested in. I'm going to keep checking.

I think I might have found the culprit.......IBM is having their annual shareholders meeting in Charleston on those exact dates. Lucky me.

I'd be thrilled with $220 for Charleston Place but anything over $99 for a Days Inn.......not gonna happen.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,055 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why so expensive?

we opted for a VRBO when we went to Charleston, but stayed a week. I agree that the hotel prices are VERY high and we were traveling mid March. Check into some of the outlying areas as opposed to in Charleston proper. We ended up on James Island (near Folly Beach) Only about a 15 minute drive into Charleston as long as it wasn't rush hour.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Boston
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why so expensive?

Lastminute travel is showing Charleston Place "on request" for $297 a night for your dates. No bargain, but better than $395. The only other hotel in the "Historic District" that shows up is the Marriott way over on Longwood Drive for $151. It certainly is tight for those dates!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
9. Re: Why so expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:22