We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

I have read about some boat trips out to Morris Island to see the dolphins. Is there much else to do on the island and what would it be like in mid March? Are there any particular operators that would be recommended? We are a multigenerational family group that includes adults and children.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

You can easily take a harbor or Ft. Sumter tour and see the dolphins.

I've never taken the Morris Island Tour, don't really know what they do. You can't go into the lighthouse, it's on just a bit of sand that is slowly eroding away, there's a major effort out there to "save the lighthouse"...

http://www.savethelight.org/

You can view the lighthouse from the northernmost end of Folly Beach. The folks that I know who go there are kayakers, trip is totally dependant upon the tides.

If you want to be up close and personal w/the dolphins, why not take a kayak trip? Contact my friend Ralph, he'll get you to where you want to be...

www.kayakcharleston.net

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

Check out Barrier Island EcoTours (http://nature-tours.com/). They go to Capers Island, which is undeveloped. Good chance of seeing dolphins with them, too. Depending on how many generations are in your multigenerational family, some of the family members might have an easier time with a tour like this instead of kayaking.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,175 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

Morris Island has completely eroded away. At high tide the sea water is against the light house with no surrounding sand. At lower tide, there is a bit of barren sand there.

I would try one of the suggestions above. I have kayaked with Ralph (great fun) and have also been to Capers Island, both are better options than Morris.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

You can almost always see the dolphin at the restaurants on Shem Creek. We take visitors to RBs because you wait for your table on the dock and the dolphin are right there beside you. If you go out to Ft. Moutrie they usually swim beside the boat. You almost always see them from Waterfront Park, too.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,175 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

Also see them regularly from the rooftop bar at the Boat House on Breech Inlet on the Isle of Palms. Get great sunsets there too.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

Thank you all for your feedback. Our family ranges from 1 year to 80 years so I would say the kayak excursion is not for us this time. I will look into the Caper Island suggestion. We do plan to go visit Fort Sumter (probably by the ferry). If there is a good chance of seeing the dolphins then or at waterfront park or some of the dining establishments, then we may not need to do a separate boat trip to see them.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

No need for a separate excursion.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,175 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

You can only visit Fort Sumter by boat, it is in the middle of the harbor. You can drive to Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

What was I thinking...I meant Ft. Sumter not Ft. Moultrie. Thanks, Endo!

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morris Island excursion in mid March - worthwhile?

The Caper's Island Tour looks interesting. It leaves from Isle of Palms. Any idea how long it would take us to get to Isle of Palms from downtown Charleston by taxi?