We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Topic
Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

I am planning a trip this SUmmer which will include about 3- 4 nights in Charleston We have never visited, but I think we want to of course tour the HIstoric area, some plantations, fort Sumnter, and a beach/waterfront area another day. I have found reasonable lodging at the Best Western, Historic district, or we can stay across the river at one of several marriotts (Springhill suites Residence inn, , Marriott on Lockwood, or the Courtyard.) THose outside the HIstoric district do over a shuttle, and more spacious room and a little less expensive.. Since we wont be visiting the HIstoric area EVERY day, I am not sure whether we need to stay there. However, I am wondering if i would regret not staying INSIDE the HIstoric district, as it is our first visit. Is it maybe better to stay in the Historic area because all the dining , shopping , and "flavor" or Charleston is right outside your door, and convenient at any time?.

We are not big "nightlife party people" but we would enjoy strolling the historic streets early morning and afternoon to shop or pick up some icecream! Is most of the shopping/dining area located there?? Thanks for any input

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

If the Best Western is the King Charles Inn, it is in a great location. There is another on that I believe is listed as Downtown which is not the same thing as HD. It is closer to The Citadel and the medical center than to the HD.

If at all possible for your first trip here, I would suggest trying to stay in the HD. From your description of yourselves, you will love Charleston and the HD is right up your ally!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

If you can swing it I would stay in the HD at least for a couple of nights. One thing to consider is that if you stay elsewhere you may end up having to drive to the HD and pay to park in a parking garage. It is awfully nice to be able to just walk around town, walk to breakfast, dinner, etc.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,887 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

I agree, stay in the HD, at least for a few nights...it's so wonderful when you can get up in the morning and be out and around before all the worker bees and tourists arrive for the day.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

Yes, there is something about the sights and sounds and feel of the Historic District all around you...and in your accommodations. And enjoying them late at night and first thing in the morning. Have you checked on b&bs too? There are many of them as well as hotels.

Cheraw, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

I agree with the other posts. I think it would be worth the extra money to stay in the Historic district. Make sure the Best Western is the King Charles one. The other one says they are in the HD, but they are a mile or two out. We had some friends stay there lately that where on a tight budget. They said it was nice, but it would be quite a walk to the downtown area.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

I second staying in the HD. You won't regret it. You can walk down Bay Street to Battery and see the gorgeous homes then walk back up King Street and visit the neat shops there. Stay in the HD where the great restaurants are. Go to McCrady's, Amen Street Oyster Bar, Fleet Landing, Blossom, Figs, 82 Queen et al. Enjoy your visit.

california
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

That settles it... I shall book into the Historic District.. Thank you all so much for the great advice... I know I wont regret it...ANd yes, it is the king Charles Best Western...

Cape Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
246 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

You will be so glad you are staying in HD at the Best Western. You really want to get a feel for Charleston and the best way is to walk around the city and get to know it on foot.

Mike at the front desk at the BW is great. He will make your trip memorable, be sure and ask for him.

9. Re: Do I really want to stay in the Historic District?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 10:23