We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving times

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
driving times

My wife and I will be in Charleston in two weeks and we will be posting a few questions before then. However, I first want to thank the DEs and others who contribute regularly to this Forum for having already provided almost all the information we need; we really appreciate this!!!.

Besides doing things in Charleston, we may be taking very short trips elsewhere by car, and I want to get a sense of how long this might take. What are the approximate driving times from the historic district to Cypress Gardens, Amendaw (See Wee), and the Angel Oak.? Thanks.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving times

The road between Charleston and Awendaw, Highway 17/Johnnie Dodds Blvd., is under heavy construction so it might take you 45 minutes to an hour during non-rush hours. But it's worth it! If you want to avoid the construction you can take Coleman Blvd to Rifle Range (left) follow it out to the end, then make a right onto 17.

It will take 45 minutes to an hour to get to Cypress Gardens. Same to Angel Oak.

Have a great time.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving times

I agree - all three of your destinations will be 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe less for Angel Oak, more to Awendaw, depending on time of day traffic.

Commuter traffic is not such an issue going up to Cypress Gardens. If you're going there, think about a visit to Mepkin Abbey too.

http://visitberkeleycounty.com/mepkin-abbey/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving times

Thanks so much. This is very very helpful.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving times

Mepkin is beautiful!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving times

If you are going to Mepkin Abbey, call first and make a reservation. They have a guided tour. Try to go for the noon service. The view from the gardens to the canal is beautiful and so peaceful.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving times

Took guests out to Angel Oak just this afternoon.

We also hit the Firefly Distillery (Wadmalaw Island), which they thoroughly enjoyed. Those folks just keep adding to their portfolio of amazing liquors, now they have some great liquers...Pecan Pie, Banana Pudding and Peach Cobbler, all were wonderful and several came home with us!!!

Don't forget the Tea Plantation is out there, as well.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving times

Great ideas! I will add these to my (already pretty busy) itinerary.

8. Re: driving times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:41