We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound of Charleston

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sound of Charleston

My wife and I will be in Charleston soon, and I have a quick question about the musical review, Sound of Charleston. This is listed as the number one Charleston attraction on TA and, judging from the reviews, seems like something we should consider seeing. However, I would like to get some other opinions, especially from DEs. The reason I ask is that there is very little about this musical review on TA postings and, given the dozens of wonderful things to do in Charleston, I was a bit surprised that this is the top-ranked attraction. My inquiry should not be taken as in any way being critical of the Sound of Charleston reviewers or the quality of this group; I'm just trying to decide whether I should fit this into an already crowded schedule. Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to coming to Charleston.

Edited: 2:14 pm, today

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound of Charleston

I actually never heard of it until just now. Sometimes things rocket to #1 b/c they ask all of the employees, etc to post reviews. We generally tell people to pay attention to how many of the posters have only 1 entry. None before and none after ~ often those are solicited reviews. More reliable reviews (as a general rule) are from people who have more posts/reviews, etc associated with them.

That said... it may be a good show, but I can't say since I have not been.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound of Charleston

Well said, Endo. I have never heard of it before, either. The DEs here have wondered before at some of the attractions that shot to #1 or #2 when there are other things that attract thousands of visitors per week and are much further down the list.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound of Charleston

If I may offer a thought in my amble through lovely Charleston at the moment...have you seen the video? I'll link it. It gives an idea. I haven't been but am considering it as well. I read a nice article about it in AARP...a promotional one. It may be nice and sweet, touching, tender, inspirational. I think it might sort of fill in a tour adding the element of of a bit more music and stories. [And you get to sit down, always a good thing:)] I think it may add to helping one feel Charleston in their heart and spirit. I had a discussion yesterday with someone about slow cooking and slow living and this may fit in well with that thought. Taking time to actually feel Charleston.

travelerofcharleston.com/sound-of-charleston…

Edited: 10 April 2012, 20:09
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sound of Charleston

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who's not familiar w/it. I will say I did see it advertised outside the church when I was downtown last week.

Maybe a DE field trip is in order!!!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sound of Charleston

I haven't been either, but the Circular Church is worth a visit, and great music can't be bad.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sound of Charleston

I watched the video and looked at the schedule...Ann Caldwell is a particular treat, heard her recently at the Gullah series that was out at the Charles Pinckney Historical Site.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sound of Charleston

Thanks so much for this feedback (and especially endosunshine, who is a frequent contributor to the Colorado forum [I'm from Boulder]). My wife and I may go to see this group; we're just trying to figure out how to fit everything in. We haven't even set foot in Charleston and I can already tell that we should have allocated more time for our visit (we'll be there for four and a half days). Thanks again.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 22:01
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sound of Charleston

I haven't experienced this either - I would probably check on the particular artists performing before I decided.

I've been to other concerts at Circular Church - it's often a venue during the Blues Festival. They used to do something called Jazz Vespers there, Ann Caldwell was a regular. She's worth going out of your way to hear.

All in all, I'd take a chance on it.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 01:22
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sound of Charleston

Sound of Charleston started last year. The organization is a member of the Charleston Travel Council and is listed on the Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Center website. I'm surprised that the DEs have not heard of it.

I wouldn't question the reviews, just because they shot up quickly. I believe that's more to do with the algorithm that TA uses to rank things. It has to do not just with number and quality of reviews, but how recent they are. This production uses some top notch, local talent and is very well concieved.

And, no... I have no affiliation with it.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sound of Charleston

mountainstream25 ~ Charleston and SW Colorado ~ the 2 most beautiful spots on earth! :-) Is this your 1st visit to Charleston? Soon you will be hooked and going back and forth, like me!

I'm not surprised many of us don't know about it yet... most of us have careers/jobs that are not in the hospitality industry. We try to stay up to date, try new places, etc but sometimes it can be difficult to keep up with all the great things in Charleston while still carrying on our normal lives.