We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help with my 4 day itinerary

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
please help with my 4 day itinerary

Hi there,

I've wanted to visit Charleston for several years now. I'm so excited to say that I'm finally going to be there next week! There's so much we want to do. I'm not sure how to put the itinerary together to make the most of our 4 days. Could you please help? I'm a little overwhelmed with figuring which days to do what! We want to be able to take our time and truly enjoy the landscape and surroundings.

Here's my wish list of things we want to do...carriage ride, Edmondston-Alston house, Battery park/Whitepoint Gardens, Rainbow Row, ghost tour, Middleton Place, Drayton Hall, Angel Oak, Magnolia Cemetary, Fort Sumter, Boone Hall, shopping at the market and eating lunch at 82 Queen and Poogan's Porch.

I know one day will be visiting Middleton Place and Drayton Hall. Do you think we'd have time to also visit the swamp garden at Magnolia? Is there somewhere good to grab lunch in that area?

Is there anything else downtown that you'd suggest we don't miss? I should mention we're going to be there Thursday - Sunday.

Thanks in advance!

Market Square
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Principle Gallery Charleston
Art Galleries, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Art Museums
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

I would drop Boone Hall simply because the highway to get there is under heavy construction. It would take up a lot of your time and you only have 4 days.

The first 4 on your list can be done in one morning.

You might have time to visit Magnolia if you don't spend too much time at the others. I say don't push yourself! Relax and enjoy it. There's a nice cafe at Middleton for lunch.

Be sure to walk over to Waterfront Park. Enjoy a swing on the pier overlooking the harbor.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

I agree with skipping Boone Hall this time.

Take a carriage ride 1st, when it ends you will be right next to The Market, so you could shop there afterwards (or even before), then stroll down East Bay St. past Rainbow Row to the Battery. Enjoy that area, look at some of the homes. Tour the E-A House, have lunch at one of your selected restaurants. Maybe do the Ft. Sumter tour that afternoon?

There are some great self guided walking tours, you should be able to get info on that at the Visitors's Center.

Depending on how much time you spend at Middleton and Drayton, you may be able to fit in Magnolia too - doing all 3 & squeezing in Angel Oak, would take up most of one day, unless you really rush, which I don't advise.

Just be sure to be out and about by around 8:30/9 am and you will be able to fit lots in. :-)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

Thank you for the suggestions.

Besides the construction, why do you think we should skip Boone Hall? I've been looking forward to seeing the avenue of oaks. Is it not worth the time?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

I like Boone Hall, but getting there will be tough. You only have 4 days. If you really want to do it, make sure you go during non-rush hours.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 18:17
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

There is a swamp area at Middleton Place, at the north end. You may want to visit that before deciding to spend the money to go to the swamp garden at Magnolia.

We really like the restaurant at Middleton for lunch. It's $19 for an appetizer, entree, and dessert, and well worth it. Lovely atmosphere.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 18:50
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

I would also advise skipping Boone Hall. If you go to the Visitors Center you can get a Heritage Passport and it will save you money on many of the places you have on your list.

Middleton Place has plenty of swamp areas, too. In addition to the restaurant, there is a place near the parking area with soup, salads and sandwiches if you decide to just have a picnic under the oaks.

The day you go to Middleton Place and Drayton Hall, you might add in Angel Oak and either the tea plantation or the Firefly Winery.

sciway.net/sc-photos/…angel-oak.html

www.fireflyvodka.com

www.charlestonteaplantation.com

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

Ok I'm really not sure what to do about Boone Hall. Maybe we will skip that and do the Heritage Passport instead.

I didn't realize that Middleton Place had swamp areas. I'm thinking maybe we'll skip Magnolia and go to the winery instead. Do they give tours or do you just go there for tastings?

Any idea of what would be best to do on Sunday? It seems most places open a little later and close early. I'm not sure how to make the most of our time on that day.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I just know I'm going to love Charleston. I'm already in my mind planning a return trip for next year! I just haven't told my hubby yet! ;)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

You might find this helpful regarding the Heritage Pass

www.heritagefederation.org/passport.html

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

The Firefly Vodka distillery and Irvin House Vineyards are open only Wednesday - Saturday, 11 - 5 pm. They do not do tours on a regular basis, so expect tasting only.

As an alternative, you might visit the Charleston Tea Plantation, which does very interesting tours. www.charlestonteaplantation.com/Tours.aspx Then, drive out to Rockville and view the active shrimping dock at Cherry Point.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help with my 4 day itinerary

The distillery is fun, they have 3 new liqueurs...Peach Cobbler, Banana Pudding and Pecan Pie (BP & PP both came home w/me). Had a couple of guests over there last week, they had a ball!

If there are 2 people, plan your tastings right (you can share your tastes w/each other) and you'll get to sample 12 different products. Love their Java Rhum, also!