We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
341 posts
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions?

My buddy and I are going to check out charleston, we are late 20s, will have a rental car. Im going to bid through priceline to save some money. I was wondering which areas of Charleston would be best to stay at (according to the priceline map).

Ashley River Area

Charleston Southern University

Downtown

Folly Beach

Middleton Place Area

Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms

North Charleston - Airport

North Charleston - Northwoods Mall

West Charleston - Savannah Highway

And as i said, i will have a car, so i wont be limited to where i can stay....but just wondering which choices should be my top choices for location. Thanks!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions?

The Historic District is where folks usually want to stay, but since that doesn't seem to be an option and assuming that you don't mind driving into Charleston (20-30 mins.) and the fact that you are young, I'd go for Folly Beach. There is only one hotel there, The Tides.

Downtown would have a few decent hotels, but I'm thinking more along the fun side for you and the fact that Folly has a very nice beach, casual restaurants and lots of music in the evenings.

There is free parking on the Battery in Charleston and if you look (and get there at the right time) there is free parking scattered here and there. Otherwise, there is plenty of garage parking.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions?

North Charleston is the least desirable area. Some areas are pretty seedy and in general, the traffic between N. Chas and downtown can be brutal - both ways. Can be an hour or more at times. Charleston Southern area is nice, but you have the traffic problem.

Downtown would be the most desirable, due to the fact that you can walk pretty much everywhere. ie ~ enjoy adult beverages without having to drive back to your hotel. Be aware that "historic district" and "downtown" are NOT the same thing when looking for hotels. Downtown is not always walkable distance from all the attractions, restaurants, bars, etc of the HD.

I think it's about a tie for Folly, Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley (what you referred to as Savannah Hwy area). Hwy 17 in Mt. Pleasant is under heavy construction - the most desirable area of Mt. P would be the Patriot's Point area. Very close to downtown, you could even take the water taxi across the harbor to downtown.. The Shem Creek area of Mt. P would be good also. (Shem Creek Inn)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions?

What are your interests? Do you want beach or HD? What do you want to do and see while you are here? That will help us guide you better.

If you stay in the HD you will not need a car because it is very walkable. The money you save on not having a car and paying for parking can be put toward a hotel where you can walk to most thing restaurants, bars and the sites.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions?

When are you coming, how long are you staying? TIDEs is expensive from memorial day on. I can make some other suggestions to you with more info.

Boston
Level Contributor
341 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions?

I will be there in the middle of June. I will be visiting both Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach before this, so maybe im better off switching it up and staying in the HD or downtown....but beach would be good too....whichever I can get for cheaper.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestions?

What is your budget? What are your interests?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestions?

Neither the beaches or downtown are going to be cheap in summer. With Priceline you may get a better deal.

If you have just stayed at 2 beaches, I would suggest downtown or Mt. Pleasant (Patriot's Point area if possible).

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestions?

I agree w/Endo, either Mt. Pleasant or Patriot's Point will be good, especially if you've already spent time at a couple of other beaches.

What is your real nightly budget??? You are coming during prime tourist season.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestions?

Here's an out of the box suggestion.

http://notsohostel.com/

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestions?

The hostel is pretty far away from everything... and in a not so great area. I sure wouldn't want to walk there at night.