We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation tour info please

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
upstate NY
Level Contributor
257 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation tour info please

I will be doing a day trip into Charleston in a couple of weeks. It is my first time visiting the city. I definitly have a carriage city tour on my list and was thinking about a plantation tour. Any recommendations in regard to a plantation tour. I do not want it to be any longer than 2 hrs.

I am trying to see a much as possible in 1 day.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation tour info please

With just one day, I would maybe opt for a historical house tour at either the Edmonston-Alston House or the Nathaniel-Russell House in the historic district. Their tours are about 30 minutes each. The plantations are away from the peninsula and take at least half a day.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation tour info please

On such a short visit I would not try to go to a plantation. They are each about a 30 min drive (or more, if traffic is bad) away from the historic district and to do them justice you need to allow several hours. (not counting travel time) Limit yourself to things you can see & do in the historic district in order to fit in as much as possible and not waste time driving back and forth.

www.historiccharleston.org

www.charlestonmuseum.org

If you have not already done so... look to the top right of this page for Top Questions. One of the things included there is a sample itinerary for a single day.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 20:45
upstate NY
Level Contributor
257 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation tour info please

Thanks for the information, I will do tour the city tour, harbour tour and follow my wife aroud though the shops.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation tour info please

Shop on King Street, dude. Real men shop at M. Dumas & Sons and B. Silver.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation tour info please

We had 3 days in Charleston and that was just a tease, which had us wanting to go back for more. Only 1 day would just be plain torture!

6. Re: Plantation tour info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 00:42
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation tour info please

I'm sorry.... but Boone Hall is not any where near I-26. Perhaps you are thinking of I-526 and even then it is not within 10 minutes. Especially now, there is heavy construction on Hwy 17 (which Boone Hall is just off) and traffic is dreadful.

I again, stick with the idea that on a one day only visit, you should not spend your time going to a plantation. Save that for the next visit.

8. Re: Plantation tour info please

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantation tour info please

Boomer...can I ask what hotel you stayed at? And what are your thoughts about it? Mydaughter is getting married at Boone Hall in August and I am now considering hotels.

10. Re: Plantation tour info please