We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Charleston, what to do with it

Summerville, Georgia
Level Contributor
82 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Charleston, what to do with it

Hello friends!

My wife and I are headed to Charleston in July (I am a Soutnerer, I know it's going to be HOT :) ) but I have never been to Charleston, and am a little overwhelmed with how much there is to see. It's a short visit, and the purpose of the visit is more R & R than anything else, but we still want to see some highlights. Here's my plan.

Day 1: Arrive in town at 1. I have arranged a private three hour walking tour for my wife and I with Charleston Sole (who has been remarkable to work with thus far). That evening, we simply plan to lounge around our B & B (Governor's House Inn, also remarkable thus far) and eat dinner (Poogan's Porch ? Based on a friend's reccomendaton. Other suggestions welcome)

Day 2: This is the day I am unsure what to do with. We want to try Magnolia's for lunch (seems like a tourist trap, but several have said to me "you have to eat at Magnolia's). And tentatively are thinking Peninsula Grill for dinner and the Schooner Pride for a sunset cruise. But I don't know what to do the rest of the day. Based on feedback, most the house tours take an hour, give or take, so I was thinking maybe a couple of those, and a short visit to the Charleston Museum. Which ones are the best, (I know that is a subjective question, I value opinions) or what else would you say is a a necessity to see or do? I was thinking between the hours of 10-2, then lunch, then R & R, sunset sail, then dinner. So roughly four or so hours to fill.

Day 3: Drayton Hall in the morning, Middleton Pkace for lunch and tour in the afternoon. And then bye Charleston :(

So Tripadvisors, what to do on Day 2?

Edited: 27 April 2012, 15:14
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

Magnolia's is not a tourist trap. I live here and enjoy it quite a bit, often take out of town friends there, who usually rave over it. Everyone has their own tastes ~ I find Peninsula Grill to be over rated. (especially the coconut cake) FIG is my personal favorite and I also really like High Cotton, Anson and SNOB. My husband and I are "foodies" and have pretty high standards.

Have you considered a carriage ride, it is an entertaining way to spend an hour. How about the Gibbs Art Museum? The old Powder Magazine, dating to 1713? The Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon? Not sure what all you will cover in your walking tour, but you may want to allow time to just walk around and peek into gardens and look at the beautiful buildings in the historic residential areas.

www.powermag.org

www.oldexhange.org

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

I love Magnolia's. It is not a tourist trap. For lunch, I would do either Magnolia's or SNOB. Have you thought of getting a piece of coconut cake (I love it!) from Peninsula Grill to eat while you are on the Schooner Pride? Then for dinner, go to which ever one you did not go to for lunch or FIG.

I am not a big Poogans Porch fan. To me, it is much more touristy than Magnolia's.

You might want to have drinks around sunset at one of the rooftop bars. If you are a baseball fan, you might check to see if the Riverdogs are playing in town. You could even do your Schooner Pride cruise the evening you arrive. It is very relaxing.

Summerville, Georgia
Level Contributor
82 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I drew my conclusion on Magnolia's being a tourist trap based on how much "attention" it gets. Seems like my experience has been that the more hyped I have heard a place is, the more disappointed I am in it. Thanks for your candid correction on that one. Good to know there are places which stand on their own regardless of good marketing. Poogan's was reccomended to me as the "best traditional meal in town" from a friend who used to live there. If y'all think it's overrated, what do you think is the essential Charleston dinner? I really want this to be a trip of highlights. I had seriously considered the Schooner Pride our first day, but we are going to leave home around 6 or 7am that morning, and didn't want to fall asleep on the cruise :). And at Peninsula, the cake is overrated :(. That was what I was most excited about :). I looked at your other suggestions, and really want the more "traditional" low country fare. One I didn't mention, nor see either of you mention is McCrady's and Husk. Overrated or good? Thanks for the suggest sons on the museums as well. I am more of a history buff, my wife more if a design/architecture/pretty things person. I have asked our guide for our walking tour for a blend of those two in our walk, so I am not sure what all we will see, though I do know we are "going in" on any stops. So as a follows question, say for a blend of history/home , which one military museum and which one home would you tour? Thanks again, a bunch, for your delightful help. Sorry for this long reply, I tend to ramble. A lot. Oh wait, I am rambling again. Sorry.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

Lots of people love that coconut cake, some of us don't. My grandmother made the most fantastic, almost soggy it was so moist coconut cake. No cake I have purchased in any restaurant/bakery rates above average compared to that.

I agree that I think Poogan's is past it's prime and now lives off of tourist business. I don't know any locals who go there. Some of the DE's love 82 Queen, but I am not one of them. So, when dealing with personal opinions ~ you are going to get lots of differing view points.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

Poogan's is okay, but I think for a really traditional lowcountry meal 82 Queen can't be beat. McCrady's is great but far from traditional. Husk is getting the real hype and is really crowded because of it.

I second the carriage ride. If you're here on a weekend, you might enjoy the Hunley.

hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=TOURS

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

I love Magnolia's. I'd blow off Poogan's Porch, eat dinner at Magnolia's, and lunch at either Jestine's Kitchen or Hominy Grill for traditional southern food.

I haven't eaten at McCrady's. Have tried Husk. The buzz on that one is they have more publicists than waitstaff. I wouldn't go back. FIG is much better.

7. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 00:42
8. Re: One day in Charleston, what to do with it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:41