We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Topic
Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

S.N.O.B - excellent shrimp and grits (and other entrees), salads and specialty cocktails. Crab salad served at lunch is outstanding!

Charleston Grill - surprisingly good gluten-free breads, salads, soups, sides and entrees. Prices were very reasonable for the level of service there.

Patat Spot Friet & Falafel - excellent falafel sandwiches (ask for gluten-free pita), fries w/dipping sauces and a tasty gluten-free dessert. All gluten-free beers and ciders are only $2 each!

Kronic Coffee (Folly Beach area) - wonderful gluten-free French toast, panini sandwiches and even a gluten-free brownie.

Magnolia's - shrimp and grits dish is gluten-free (ask about fried spinach garnish as it was not gf the day we went) as well as some other entrees. sides and salads.

In terms of gluten-free dessert options, Charleston is where Atlanta was about five years ago. One tires of creme brulee and flourless chocolate cake after a while. In Charleston we were only offered creme brulee, sorbet and ice cream - not even a flourless cake. Thankfully, many flavors of gelato at Paolo's (also in Atlanta) are gluten-free. Ask for no cookie there as they put one on every scoop otherwise. Paolo's rocks!

Cupcakes on King has gluten-free option on Tuesdays, but were were not there that day to try them. Their sister store in Greenville offers the same product and it's without question one of the best cupcakes I've had from a bakery. They're really fabulous!

Replacement foods like pasta, pizza and breads were in short supply in the area (I checked with many places before the trip), but the seafood, sides and even salads are so wonderful that you won't miss them. Gluten-free foodies will find plenty of great food to enjoy in Charleston!

Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
286 reviews
from US$26.00*
Charleston Food Tour
39 reviews
from US$60.00*
2-Hour Historical Walking Tour of...
86 reviews
from US$20.00*
Charleston Food Tour
100 reviews
from US$60.00*
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

1) you must ask at each restaurant about the shrimp & grits... some use flour to thicken their gravy.

2) Crave in Mt. Pleasant offers gluten free coconut cake.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

This is good information to know. Most restaurants will assist you in special dietary requirements but choices can be limited when traveling.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

Anyone who is on the gluten free diet for medical reasons (many trendy dieters are not, unfortunately) should know they have to ask about everything they're considering ordering BEFORE ordering. Those that don't understand that should avoid dining out. As mentioned in the only other gluten-free thread for Charleston, many places in the South use flour for the shrimp and grits. In our area, most chefs will make it special for you with advance notice.

Thanks for the reminder about Crave. We hope to get there in the Fall when we have to return for a family reunion that was planned after our recent trip was booked.

Since there is not much you can't find gluten-free versions of in the Atlanta area (pizzas galore, some battered fried items, pastas, bread and desserts), I don't mind doing without such items while traveling. I forgot to mention before that S.N.O.B. had safe fried oysters as part of my husband's fish entree. They were outstanding! The chef should consider adding them to the menu as an app during oyster season.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

I often use soy flour for breading on fried items or in place of flour in crab cakes or salmon patties. Works out great. I am not gluten free specifically, I am allergic to wheat. However, if I have some, I just get a rash and swollen hands and feet. Not deadly.

:-)

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

Soy flour seems to mimic gluten flour in some ways. I used crumbled gf crackers for crab cakes, gf Panko breadcrumbs for crispy coatings and a ready-made flour blend for batters and quick breads/muffins. For everything else I use specific mixes (cakes, pancakes, etc.) as I'm a lazy cook ;)

Celiac is not an allergy either and it's not deadly unless one has it and never gets diagnosed/treated with gf diet. Then it can cause various intestinal cancers. That said, some folks are down for the count for up to a week if they get into gluten by mistake.

We have to stay out at the Isle of Palms when we come back this fall and want to eat out there one night. Are there any good places with interesting gf options out that way?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

I am Dr. endosunshine.... well aware of celiac dx and the implications. Just meant to clarify that I was not gluten sensitive for that reason, just wheat allergy. All allergies can either be a mild form or life threatening. Fortunately, that particular one for me is mild. I have a life threatening ones as well, primarily to meds.

Crave has gluten free options, they are the only ones I can think of that specifically promote that aspect. Most other places you have to make your own judgement calls and ask about preparation of dishes. Most restaurants in the Charleston area are very accommodating.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 22:03
US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

Peninsula Grill has the some of the *best* gluten free rolls I've ever had.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

Unless they start with a roux, proper southern cooks use cornstarch, not flour, to thicken gravy. Which is not to say I know anything about gluten intolerance. My experience with allergies involves scratch tests, shots, and absolute avoidance of certain foods.

I'm with Endosunshine - if your health requires you to know what's in your food, ask the restaurant which dishes don't have the forbidden components, then order something your body can tolerate.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

In the lowcountry, traditional brown gravy (as with fried chicken, etc) is made with flour. Corn starch can only be used sparingly to thicken sauces and gravies, because it imparts a peculiar "starchy' flavor. So, real "proper southern cooks" know not to use much of it. :-)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten-Free finds in Charleston

My mother and grandmothers did not even have cornstarch in their houses but kept huge bags of flour that was used a lot in those black cast iron skillets. They were about as Southern as you could get.