We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

tucson
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

We're going to be in Charleston in June for three nights - so the question is - what are the three best choices for dinner (medium to high end)? We'll be staying in the historic district. I'm not sure we can eat three full rich meals back to back, but would like to know options/suggestions. Besides maybe we'll settle for appetizers and dessert one night!?!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

My Top 3 during our vacation last month:

1) Magnolia's - all our dishes were excellent. My favorite were the cheese grits with fried green tomatoes.

2) Husk - their crispy pig ear lettuce wrap was delicious as was their strawberry shortcake (at least that's what my GF said

3) Peninsula Grill - a slice of the coconut cake was as great as the hype. Moist, delicate and lots of coconut flavor.

We didn't have anything small since our hotel provided a big breakfast and snacks throughout the day.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 14:25
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

Sorry, but you are going to get a different answer from everyone. It's all so subjective.

My 3 would be 1) FIG (my absolute favorite!!) 2) High Cotton and 3) could be either Magnolia or Anson's

Again, my opinion, but I find Peninsula Grill to be overated, I'm not crazy about the coconut cake, like everyone else seems to be. Haven't been to Husk, but have heard (from some, not all) that it does not live up to all the hype. They are also currently involved in a case in which an employee got very drunk in their bar after work, they let him leave, knowing he was going to drive and he killed someone. I choose not to support them for that reason.

Have fun sorting out all the answers you get! Really, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. They turn out really delicious meals and not all of them are heavy and/or rich, just depends on what you choose. :-)

Mentioned in this post
High Cotton Charleston
High Cotton Charleston
2,143 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

1. FIG

2. Anson

3. High Cotton

Mentioned in this post
High Cotton Charleston
High Cotton Charleston
2,143 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

SNOB, FIG, 82 Queen...but any of the ones mentioned are good choices. I love PG's coconut cake. How I wish I had some right now!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

Again, FIG, Anson, SNOB and we do like Peninsula Grill, both the menu and the coconut cake. I'll throw in Hank's, as well.

If you want some stick to your ribs appetizers, try Closed 4 Business.

Rooftop Bar at Market Pavillion is fun for a late afternoon beverage and to take in the view.

Mentioned in this post
Anson Restaurant
Anson Restaurant
694 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Hank's Seafood Restaurant
3,565 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

Everytime we are in CHS whether business or pleasure, we always go to SNOB, High Cotton & Hanks. There are so many great restaurants however, so its really hard to narrow it down to three. And I will agree with Endo, while the poster hasn't been there by own admission, we have and in our opinion, it definetly did not live up to the hype, in fact we were really disappointed. Our favorite part was our drinks pre-dinner there at their side bar next door, but that was about it.

Mentioned in this post
High Cotton Charleston
High Cotton Charleston
2,143 Reviews
Charleston, SC
3,565 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston
Level Contributor
586 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

My vote..

1. Cypress - just my personal favorite

2. Husk - have been twice and loved it both times

3. McCrady's - not traditional, but their tasting menu is out of this world

For "medium"

1. Coast -fish tacos in a fun atmosphere

2. Basil - thai food

3. Closed for Business - good bourbon, good tapas, good beer

Mentioned in this post
McCrady's Tavern
McCrady's Tavern
1,112 Reviews
Charleston, SC
J M
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

82 Queen-award winning she-crab soup. fried green tomato sandwich.

http://www.82queen.com/

Coconut cake at Peninsula grill

http://www.peninsulagrill.com/

9. Re: Charleston - Restaurants - Three Best Choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:16