We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for June trip with mom

Ca.
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for June trip with mom

I am traveling with my mom 93 years young mom that has spunk but is limited in her walking ability.

Will be in Charleston (Historic District) for two days, June 3-5 without a car then have plans to rent a car and drive on to Savannah for two more days. (flying home from Savannah) I'm looking for ideas on the trip between the two cities. Is there a plantation tour to take on our way to Savannah? Should we stop at Tybee island or Hilton Head on our way? How long of a drive is it? Also should we keep the car while in Savannah?

Do you have any tour favorites? It sounds like a carriage ride while in Charleston is fun and maybe a hop on and off trolley would be great while in Savannah. Can' t wait!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for June trip with mom

The drive between the 2 is about 110 miles. There are 3 plantations out Ashley River Road: Middleton, Drayton, and Magnolia.

I suggest stopping at the Old Sheldon Church ruins, Beaufort, and/or Hunting Island. Hilton Head might not be a fun, since beach access is somewhat limited to renters/residents only. Tybee is on the other side of Savannah. Savannah is easy to maneuver without a car.

Here are some links to get you started:

sciway.net/sc-photos/…old-sheldon-church.html

http://www.cityofbeaufort.org/

southcarolinaparks.com/huntingisland/introdu…

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for June trip with mom

Agree, Old Sheldon Church ruins and Beaufort.

Plantations will take at least half a day, depending upon your interest, so you probably need to factor that into your "spunk" time w/mom and have to give up activities along the way. Most of us suggest Middleton and Drayton.

If you take Maybank Hwy out of Charleston, you could stop by the Angel Oak on John's Island, then head over to 17S and do the church and Beaufort on your way. Just another option.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for June trip with mom

I would choose between a plantation, with Middleton Place being my preference, or doing a leisurely road trip to Savannah. If I did the longer road trip, I would go by Angel Oak, Sheldon Church Ruins then over to Beaufort for lunch and maybe shopping before heading to Savannah.

Ca.
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for June trip with mom

Thanks so much everyone for the great info. I. Will check on it in the next days and get organized. While I have your attention, we are booked in the Courtyard By Marriot Historic (downtown) in Savvanah. Location is 415 w Liberty St. Is that a good location? Others on TA say that it is a bit of a walk from most attractions .

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for June trip with mom

You'll be able to walk to the squares and River Street from that location.

6. Re: Itinerary for June trip with mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:17