We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles

Ca.
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Turtles

I will be in Charleston in early June and then on to Savannah. How far is it to the coast where the turtles are nesting? Are there any groups that take you to see this?

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles

Turtles nest all along the coast, and there's no predicting when or where they will be. They usually come in at night, lay eggs, then return to the ocean. Volunteers go out early, locate nests, and move them to the dunes. It's not really an event. Here's a link that keeps statistics:

http://www.seaturtle.org/nestdb/?view=2

If you want to see turtles, there's a rescue program for injured turtles at the aquarium:

http://scaquarium.org/STR/default.html

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,568 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles

We also have a program called "Lights out for Turtles" ~ which means that no lights (flash lights, flood lights on homes, etc) are allowed to be on along the beach at night. The light confuses hatching turtles and prevents them from reaching the ocean.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles

Shankle's right, you just have to be in the right place at the right time (it's not like that place in South American where thousands come onto the beach at once) and it's very early in the morning when they do hatch (which won't be for several months). We've been lucky enough to be there.

As of Friday, there were 7 nests on Kiawah, saw the tracks for one of those that had come in during the night while I was out on my bike on Friday morning.

We've also had a leatherback turtle nest here, first turtle of the season, came ashore about 3 weeks ago. Leatherback is very rare on our beaches.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles

Even the Ravenal Bridge was designed with the turtles in mind for the lights. The beaches are about 20 - 45 minutes from Charleston but there is no one place to go to see them and the nests are protected.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Tennessee
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtles

Is the lights on the beach rule year round or just certain months? This would rule out looking for sand crabs at night.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtles

The Lights Out Program is during turtle nesting and hatching season, which will last throughout the summer into early fall. You can see ghost crabs in the dunes during the day.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtles

The reason for the "Lights Out" is because the little turtles get their co-ordinants from the sky the minute they hatch and run to the ocean. That's how they know how to come back to lay eggs. I get a tear in my eye every time I think about how that works, *sniff*

Ca.
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtles

Thanks everyone for the great info. I may go to a turtle talk on Tybee Island if I have time. Last summer I was in Costa Rica. Tried like crazy to get to Tortuguero (sp?) to see the turtles but never made it. When I saw that they were on your coast I was so excited. Oh well I just have to keep trying.

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtles

If you are lucky enough, you might be here when there is a turtle release! I'll check now to see if there are any planned at the moment. They did just release about 6 of them a couple of weeks ago.

I would recommend the Tybee Island facility - small, but nice.

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtles

There is a release tomorrow, in fact (May 18). Seems like they're pretty frequent.

Check out this blog - you'll see great photos and learn of releases from the source!

http://seaturtlehospital.blogspot.com/