We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picnic spots

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
picnic spots

My group is planning on touring Magnolia and Draytons on the same day. I am considering a picnic lunch on this day. Can you suggest a good place to picnic close to the area? And should we plan on these 2 places consuming our day?

Oyster Point Historic Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Palmetto Carriage Works
Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Charleston in a Nutshell
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: picnic spots

Most of us would suggest Middleton and Drayton.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: picnic spots

Without knowing more about your group size or where you're traveling to/from, I can't be sure ... but there are nice spots at Magnolia to have a picnic if you're taking it with you.

Drayton Hall and Magnolia are quite different, although close together. The focus at Drayton Hall is the unrestored 1742 mansion house and the people who lived on the plantation. Unless you book a special tour, it's hard for children to enjoy. The hourly tours take about an hour.

Visiting both Magnolia and Drayton Hall in a day is entirely realistic.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: picnic spots

Yes I know Middleton is preferred, but mainly because of the package deal, I picked these two. I also thought the gardens at Magnolia looked nic but from reading today I see that they are not looking too good at this time. Also the fact I really want to take a family pic at Draytons for our Christmas card. We will leave from Isle of Palms and spend the day at the plantations. We would pack the lunch with us and there are 12 of us. Anything in our plan could change, and we could even end up at Boone Hall instead. Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: picnic spots

There are tables at Magnolia but I do not recall seeing any at Drayton. There is also a small food stand at Magnolia but the the prices are pretty high for what they offer and the last time I ate there I got sick afterwards. There is Charleston Bakery on Hwy 61 (Ashley River Rd.) about 7 miles before you get to the plantations (it will be on the left as you are going out) in a small strip center beside a storage place, that has very good sandwiches made on homemade bread and desserts that are fantastic.

Not to change your plans but Angel Oak has picnic tables and is a great place for family pictures. It is free. www.charleston-sc.gov/dept/content.aspx…

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: picnic spots

Have your picnic at Magnolia. There are several groceries on the way with delis.

The Magnolia garden is a Victorian-style informal garden. The azaleas are great when they're blooming, otherwise the paths along the waterfront and winding among the trees are well worth a visit. There are picnic table, restrooms, etc.

The best thing about planning a photo at Drayton Hall is that both sides of the house are grand - if the light is wrong for one side, your group can pose at the other!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: picnic spots

The pineapple fountain at Waterfront Park would be a great place for a family Christmas Card photo shoot. Or White Point Gardens. Or you could ask a carriage company if you could pose on a carriage (I'm sure for a tip they would oblige).

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: picnic spots

Thanks for the tips!

8. Re: picnic spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:41