We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston Preservation Society Tours

Columbia MO
Level Contributor
481 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston Preservation Society Tours

I understand that they do home and garden tours in the fall. Has anyone gone on one? Ticket prices? They don't have info posted on their site yet.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

The ticket information is not yet available but the dates for the 36th Annual Fall Tours of Homes and Gardens, is September 27th through October 28th, 2012. www.preservationsociety.org/volunteer Check back in a few weeks. They should be posting the ticket information soon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

i heard the fall tours are great, but i cannot get good info from preservation society about which tour would be best for someone on a walker. it took several emails and phone calls to ascertain that historic homes are not handicapped accessible. of course, that makes perfect sense....but my family and i are just trying to find out which tour would be easiest for someone on a walker....mostly to see the gardens. one staff member very helpful. another, not so much. they cannot tell you which houses are in the tour. totally understandable. but it would seem feasible to provide info to people with limited mobility and energy so they could enjoy any little part of a tour they can. it is our mother's last trip of her life and we want it to be special. but we cannot get the answers we need. anyone out there know which would be best? church, tradd, charlotte streets?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

The houses are pretty much all multi-level, stairs, no elevators, narrow hallways and doorways.

Gardens probably won't be much better since they are mostly brick-paved, some are many years old w/lumps and bumps where the trees are.

These are all houses that are currently occupied, these are folks homes, some will be decorated in their period style, others will have all the modern updates (most have granite and stainless kitchens).

Not to rain on your parade, but this may be difficult for a person w/a walker. The distance you'll be walking on these tours can be a mile or more, as well, depending upon how the houses are spaced on a particular street (many do a loop, up one side and back the other).

I would imagine all the above are reasons that you're not getting a good answer, the Preservation Society probably doesn't want to tell you that it's not such a good idea for someone w/a walker.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

thank you so much for your prompt response. you gave me all i need to know. how simple was that????? we will still stay in charleston, but will look into other gardens she will enjoy. it won't take much to please her......just some gardens!!!!!!!! thanks, again!!!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

As you tour the HD, you can peer into all the gardens you want to. As above, the sidewalks are not smooth anywhere. Depending upon your mother's capabilities, you can walk short distances on the streets South of Broad and look in through the gates, this is a very common practice.

Check out some of the churches, which would be handicapped accessible and then visit the attached graveyards (still same issues w/walking paths).

The tours move groups through fairly quickly, so choosing to walk on your own may be a better way to go anyway, so you can go at your own pace. Here is a link to a self-guided walking tour, I'm sure there are others out there...

explorecharleston.net/WalkingTours/South_of_…

You should still see lots of flowers in window boxes all over the HD during the time of the tours, if that is when you are visiting. I think those are a real treat by themselves!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

super ideas. i had a feeling we could still see alot!!! she does want to see the churches....and thank you for the info about going at our own pace. we definitely want to go that route! the link is appreciated!!! you have been so helpful. thanks, again!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

Nathaniel Russell House, 51 Meeting Street, is a Historic Charleston Fdt house museum. Interior tour not feasible with a walker, but the garden is open without charge and has fairly level paths. The interior of St. Michael's Church nearby is well-worth a visit but their cemetery will be difficult. I can't think of a cemetery that would be easy with a walker. Hampton Park on the upper peninsula has fine level paths and notable rose beds.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

Would your mother be able to handle a carriage tour? The elevated view into the gardens is lovely, and the horse-drawn carriages move slowly.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

The guys w/the carriage tours helped Mama (w/walker) when we took her on a carriage tour years ago, they were very good. I would suppose they deal w/this pretty regularly.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Charleston Preservation Society Tours

thanks to you all for your responses. you have eased our anxiety beyond measure! we are now every excited about our trip....you have been great and charleston will be, too. thank you thank you!!!!