We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

Sun Prairie...
3 posts
Save Topic
Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

My wife and I are taking a 5 year anniversary trip to Charleston May 31 - June 2...staying downtown at Hampton Inn.

We arrive late thursday night and leave Sunday afternoon

We'd love some suggestions on:

- Local restaurants to eat at - seafood and other MUST eats

- A great beach area to relax one of the afternoons

- Horseback riding tours (she prefers to run a little so more than just a walking trail ride would be preferred but not required)

Thanks

Edited: 23 May 2012, 18:48
Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

If you have not already done so.... look to the top right of this page for "Top Questions about Charleston" that will give you tons of info and suggestions, even some sample intineraries and a description of all the local beaches. Once you have read that, you will be able to ask us more specific questions.

To my knowledge there are no horseback riding options in the downtown area. You would have to go elsewhere and it is probably not worth the effort for such a short trip. I do not know of any horseback riding options that allow "running", because of liability if someone falls, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

I'd shoot for Friday at one of the beaches, they will be crammed w/locals, as well as visitors, over the weekend.

Saturday morning hit the Farmer's Market at Marion Square, which is very near to where you are staying (will walk right past it to get to everything else).

Edited: 23 May 2012, 21:27
Mentioned in this post
Marion Square
Marion Square
387 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

It's pretty late in your planning to be reserving a ride, but look into these suggestions:

Rent horses at Middleton Place stables for a guided nose-to-tail trail ride. Very nice.

Some years the stable at Seabrook Island rents to visitors for a guided ride on the beach. They assess the riders and decide the pace from there.

Tuxbury Farms north of Mount Pleasant takes trail rides through the Francis Marion National Forest. I have not ridden with them, but I believe they use Western saddles. The others use English tack.

Maybe Stono River Riding Stable on Johns Island (Hut Road) will rent a horse to a stranger - they have nice trails through the woods.

Mentioned in this post
Middleton Place
Middleton Place
3,604 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Francis Marion National Forest
Francis Marion National...
8 Reviews
Huger, SC
Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

Hi rh,

You do know that the Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto festivals will be on while you are here, don't you? These are a major, MAJOR events in Charleston! It's intensive immersion in music, theatre, dance, and art. There will be people all over who have come for it. Almost all of the events are at venues in the Historic District. Here are links to the schedules:

Piccolo Spoleto: http://www.piccolospoleto.com/?tag=may-25

Spoleto: spoletousa.org/current-season/program-view/

Spirit

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

You may want to look at the restaurant reviews on here and Chowhound, pick some you like and try to make reservations. There are many excellent choices, but the Historic District will be crowded, as Spirit stated.

Sun Prairie...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

Thanks spirit - yes, I did see some information on the festivals going on while we are there. Should I consider alternate lodging then if the historic district will be that packed?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

No, I would still stay downtown, otherwise you miss alot of the charm of Charleston and then have to drive in each day and pay for parking.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 19:21
Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
8. Re: Belated Honeymoon Weekend in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:40