We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation to Charleston

1 post
Save Topic
Family Vacation to Charleston

My family of 5, with three children - 5, 7, and 9, are hoping to take a vacation to Charleston in early August. I am not sure this late into summer if we can get reservations anywhere, but if so, we would appreciate any advice on things to do, see, or places to stay, eat. My husband is a history buff but we would have to balance the historical sights with beach/relaxation for the kids. We would also love to take a dolphin cruise or fishing charter but not sure that would be in the budget. Thanks so much!

Charleston Outdoor Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Equipment Hire
Absolute Reel Screamer Charters
Eco Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation to Charleston

If you have not already done so.... to the top right of this page is "Top Questions about CHarleston" ~ read over that, it will give you tons of info and suggestions.

The beaches and downtown will be the most expensive areas to stay, Mt. Pleasant is between downtown and the beaches of Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. Check into hotels in that area. The West Ashley area of Charleston (between downtown and Folly Beach) is also an option, but most of the hotels are on very busy roads with nothing scenic nearby. I'd prefer Mt. P, if you can find something there.

If you can give us an idea of your budget ($$ amounts, not "reasonable" since that means different things to different people) we may be able to provide more advice.

These outings are really fun, if they fit the budget....

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation to Charleston

If your trip overlaps with the PGA tournament, you're going to be hard-pressed to find lodging. I agree to look in Mt. Pleasant - preferably the northern end so you don't compete with the PGA attendees (who won't all be staying on Kiawah)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation to Charleston

You might consider moving the date (if you can) up or back a week.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Family Vacation to Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:42