We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy road trip now! What to do?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
252 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy road trip now! What to do?

My husband and I just got into town for the next three night of our road trip. Unfortunately it's raining and the forecast says rain the next few days. We'd like to check out a plantation but not sure which one. We also plan on driving over to follys or Sullivan's island. We have all of our restaurants reserved. Any other ideas?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy road trip now! What to do?

It rained early this morning, then was nice albeit cloudy for about 6 hours, now it's raining again...do not despair! I think the weather guys say this should move on after tomorrow anyway.

So, just take your rain gear w/you, whereever you go, shoes that don't matter if they get wet and enjoy.

Despite rain, we'll take guests over to Folly for a drive around, park and walk out to view the Morris Island lighthouse (very cool when it's misty) and then find someplace for lunch...take your lemons and make lemonade.

You'll have a great visit, even if it does rain a little on your parade!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy road trip now! What to do?

Sometimes it is raining in one part of town but not all over. Just go ahead.

Middleton Place is the plantation that most of us suggest. It has something for everyone. Be sure to take the house tour, too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy road trip now! What to do?

Go the the Beidler Forest Audubon Swamp. It is a great place when it rains!

http://beidlerforest.audubon.org/

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy road trip now! What to do?

Our rains have not been constant (and almost never are). Hope you're enjoying the cooler drier weather by now; should be nice through the weekend. Oh, and I never rule out outdoor plans unless the chance of rain is listed as "over 70%" (and even then, the fronts have a tendency to run about 10-15 miles inland, parallel to the coast)

5. Re: Rainy road trip now! What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:15