We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New things to do in Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
3 posts
Save Topic
New things to do in Charleston

My husband and I are visiting Charleston in a few weeks and are looking for suggestions on what to do. We are by no means Charleston virgins, and have already done many of the main activities. We will be staying on Kiawah for 10 days, but are looking to come into Charleston several times for the day and dinner. We are also open to locations within about an hour of Charleston.

During our past visits, we have done Ft. Sumpter, Ft Moltrie, Angel Oak, Magnolia Plantation, several walking tours, Harbour tour, the Market, two house tours (don't recall which), and the Saturday morning farmer's market, as well as our own extensive walking trips around the city (houses, architecture, churches, etc). We are very interested in anything different and out of the ordinary. We are pretty adventurous usually, and have no problem walking many miles per day. One caveat for this trip is that I will be 7 months pregnant when we are there.

We would also welcome new restaurant ideas, both in Charleston and in the surrounding areas. Some of the places we've enjoyed in the past are Slightly North of Broad, Magnolia, 82 Queen, Hominy Grill, Chez Fish, and Fat Hen.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New things to do in Charleston

Take a drive over to Folly Beach, explore the town and park and walk out to view Morris Island Lighthouse...plenty of bars/restaurants to choose from for either lunch or dinner.

A visit to the Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island, as well as Firefly Distillery is always good. If you are not imbibing, what better time for your significant other to do a "test flight" and you can be the designated driver (their tastings are very fun and quite reasonable pricewise, and I jest, truly not enough to impair driving). Beautiful setting at the distillery.

If you need shrimp to cook, while on Kiawah, after the Tea Plantation, drive on out to Cherry Point Landing in Rockville for fresh shrimp, right off the dock. There is a boat landing there, with spectacular views of the marsh, perfect place for a picnic lunch.

You don't indicate that you've been to either Middleton Place or Drayton Hall, both of which are highly recommended here.

Check out the Waterfront Park in Mt. Pleasant, under the Ravenel Bridge, it's pretty cool.

Restaurants, near Kiawah are also Wild Olive, Lucy's Red Sky and for drinks and appetizers (bar food) there's Red's at Bohicket Marina (they usually have music several nights during the week). Hege's at Freshfields is very good. There are several restaurants on the island that are good, as well.

Take a drive down to Beaufort, visit the town, do a carriage or walking tour, have lunch, maybe go on out to Hunting Island. Visit the Old Sheldon Church ruins on your way into town (earlier is better, before it gets too buggy w/the heat). Stop by the National Cemetary, just to pay your respects and it's a beautiful place.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New things to do in Charleston

A couple of miles above the historic district is Magnolia Cemetery. Beautiful 19th century landscaped grounds with walking & driving paths, fascinating markers and memorials. The Hunley sailors are buried here, as are dozens of Confederate dead.

Then drive a few more miles to see the Hunley restoration work in progress.

hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=TOURS

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New things to do in Charleston

In addition to the previously mentioned, try some of the museums and the aquarium (all air conditioned) or Patriots Point. You will find that Drayton Hall and Middleton Place are bother vry different from Magnolia.

Try FIG, Fleet Landing, Fast & French (Gaulart-Maliclet) www.fastandfrench.org

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,919 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New things to do in Charleston

Try eating in FIG and Anson. Drayton Hall is a great spot to visit. Beaufort is a nice day trip. It would be a bit of a drive from Kiawah, but Brookgreen Gardens, north of Charleston is a lovely place to visit.

www.draytonhall.org

www.brookgreen.org

Pittsburgh...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New things to do in Charleston

Thank you for some great suggestions! Several of those do not show up on lists other places, so we're excited to try them out!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New things to do in Charleston

Another option is the Center for Birds of Prey in Awendaw.

http://www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org/

Have lunch at the Seewee restaurant.

Pittsburgh...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New things to do in Charleston

I just checked out the Center's website - it looks amazing! My husband particularly loves large, predatory birds, so this is right up his alley!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New things to do in Charleston

and if you feel like doing a little more walking... close to Birds of Prey Center is Sewee Center with 1-mile walking look - might even get a glimpse of red wolves! http://www.fws.gov/seweecenter/index.html.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New things to do in Charleston

I didn't see Poe's Tavern on your list; that might be fun for you. If the weather is less than perfect, take in a movie at Cinebar in Mt. Pleasant. (it's a "bar style" movie theater) Dinner at Mt. Pleasant's Old Village Post House is always a treat. Read the City Paper for events going on while you're here (like fireworks if you're here over the 4th). You could take in a Riverdogs game and possibly be entertained by actor Bill Murray, who is the Riverdogs' "Director of Fun".

Traverse City...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New things to do in Charleston

Your discription of how you you spend your time on trips sounds just like my husband and my way. We love arch., churches, walking tours ( guided or self guide), we tend to walk for miles. We are thinking of taking our 1st trip to Charleston in October. Any ideas for first trip? We will be WITH OUT our three kids (I only capitalize that because once I asked a similar question and someone very kindly replied with many wonderful ideas of things to do with kids...)

Magnolia plantation sounds interesting (just from its name). Forgive me, but we haven't started any research for this trip, but if you have a basic starting point, that would be helpful.