We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
gilbert, az
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

Our family of 3, which includes my 21 year old daughter, will be in Charleston from July 4 - 8. This is our second trip to Charleston and we love the historic district but we just can't decide which hotel. I have four different hotels we are considering and the rates are not significantly different enough to make the cost a deciding factor. Which one of these would you recommend and why?

Charleston Place - Deluxe Junior Suite (king-size bed and French doors leading into a large parlor, beautifully appointed with a living area including a sofa bed. Suite size is 800 square ft)

Mills House - 1 King bed, Junior Suite

Andrew Pinckney - Townhouse Suite (two story townhouse suites feature a living area on the first floor with a pullout sleeper sofa, 42" flat screen television, half bath, and a wet bar area complete with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The master bedroom, located on the second floor, features a king size bed, 32" flat screen television, sitting area with writing desk and a full bath with shower.

HarbourView - Harbour view guest room. HarbourView rooms offer views of historic Charleston harbor and Waterfront Park.

Thanks for your help!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

I think I would go with the townhouse suite ~ primarily for the extra room and the ability to keep snacks, breakfast foods, etc available. It is a great location, altho so are the others. Charleston Place is the most centrally located, but we are only talking a difference of a few blocks from one to another. The suite at CP is slightly larger than the apt I lived in while doing my residency! :-)

Holden Beach, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

I think Charleston Place is a bit "stuffy" (have stayed there in the past)

Never stayed at Mills.

LOVED staying at Andrew PInkney!

Have wanted to stay at Harborview but never have.

For the 4th you might want to do Harborview to perhaps see fireworks on the river!

If it werent' the 4th, I'd go w/ pinkney!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

Any of those would be fine and all have great locations. I have never had the occasion to see the rooms inside the AP but having the amenities offered at the AP would appeal to me.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

I've stayed at the CP and Harborview. CP is a very nice hotel -- but a couple of negatives -- no coffee in the rooms and no mini bar/refrigerator in room. A plus -- they have a pool.

Harborview is very nice and offers a free continental breakfast and wine/cheese reception every day. They also have coffee/tea available throughout the hotel in the corridors. So, you can slip out in your bathrobe and get a coffee before breakfast.

Charleston, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

You probably won't be able to see much from the hotel (Harborview) in terms of 4th fireworks, but you can join the 20,000 other people on the pier across the street at Waterfront Park!

Charleston Place is beautiful and centrally located. It has been a while since they updated, but there's no better place in Charleston to feel like Eloise.

The Pickney is fabulous, and it sounds like the ability to keep leftovers (yes, you will have tons) would be awesome. That's always my favorite part about renting an apartment on vacation instead of a hotel room.

Mills House is another classic Charleston choice. It's a beautiful property with a KILLER pool!

gilbert, az
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

Thanks everyone! It sounds like we can't go wrong with any of the choices. I agree with the mini-fridge...great option for the stay. I think I am down to 3 now by ruling out Charleston Place.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
117 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

I've stayed at the Mills House (and not the suite, so not sure the differences) but it is a typical hotel room. The building itself is nice and a good location, but if it were me, I'd go with one of the other 2 choices.

Have stayed at Andrew Pinkney and really enjoyed it. They also offer continental breakfast and are in a super location!!

Edited: 30 June 2012, 16:19
gilbert, az
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

Thanks for all of the advice. We decided on the Andrew Pinckney as the townhouse suites seem to offer a bit more room. I don't think we could have made a bad choice out of the final four.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

I'm in the minority here, but the Mills House is one of the most overrated places I've ever stayed at. Location is 10/10, but the rooms, amenities, beds, and services are more like a 3/10. Very dated, and not in the 'cool, this place is old' way. Beds are like 1980 spring mattresses.

Albany, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Advice - Down to 4 but need some help

Hello Ben P, I understand this hotel is a Holiday Inn property. I would think that it would be bettter than a "3/10". When did you last stay there? 1bull