We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

.¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
.¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

We are planning our first visit to the Charleston area with 4 adults & 4 children(ages 7, 7, 4, & 4).

The kids are good travelers(used to lot’s of walking, dining in restaurants, sitting through shows, etc). I know with kids our plans can change easily, but we just like to start out

with a planned daily itinerary and then go with the flow.

Please add or comment if you think we are missing something special or should skip anything here. The Aquarium is something that we could skip but I have seen that the weather will be

nearing 100(we are from South Florida and used to this) so I thought that was a cooler option.

*We are not going to the beach while in Charleston because after Charleston we are heading to Amelia Island.

Restaurants ~ I have the major one’s on my list ~ Fig, Snob, Peninsula, etc. But, I I’m also looking for really good moderately priced options or more casual ones as well.

Day 1 Arrive Mount Pleasant , ~ Could you suggest a dinner recommendation in Mount Pleasant area for our first night??

Day 2 – Drive or water taxi to Charleston(from Mount Pleasant). Charleston Pirate Tour. City Market & Market street. The Battery area, Waterfront Park.

Day 3 - Morning visit to Charleston Sea Aquarium. Lunch. Afternoon ferry to Fort Sumter. Alternates for the day ~

Museum Mile, Shopping(King Street, East Bay Street).

Day 4 - Middleton Place Plantation. Early evening Carriage ride(this is something the kids love in every city we visit)

and Farewell Dinner in Charleston.

Thank you in advance for any tips or suggestions. We are really looking forward to this trip.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

Boulevard Diner (http://www.dinewithsal.com/boulevard) is a good, reasonably priced place in Mt. Pleasant for lunch or dinner. Might be a good place for a casual dinner after a day of traveling on day 1. Page's Okra Grill (http://www.pagesokragrill.com/) is another good, casual place - open for breakfast,too.

You might want to drive into town on day 2 and park closer to the Market area. It is a bit of a walk from where the taxi docks to the Powder Magazine where the pirate tour begins (one block south of Market). You could take the water taxi on day 3... it docks at Maritime Center, which is just one block from the Aquarium. It's also practically next door to where you'll disembark after the Ft Sumter Tour :) The Powder Mag and Old Exchange are part of the Museum Mile, but the Magazine is included in pirate tour at no charge. You can also add the Exchange to the tour at a discounted price. You can also save money of the museum homes by doing combo tickets Charleston Museum/Heyward-Washington/Joseph Manigault (http://www.charlestonmuseum.org/visit-tickets) You can also get discounted combo tickets for Nathaniel Russell and Aiken-Rhett homes (www.historiccharleston.org/experience/arh/).

The carriage tours are very limited in where they can go after 6pm, as are all organized tours, due to city restrictions. You might want to flip flop day 4 and do the carriage first thing in the morning, then head to Middleton for the day.

Good, casual lunch spots downtown: 5 Loaves Cafe (www.historiccharleston.org/experience/arh/) and Fast & French (http://fastandfrenchcharleston.com/contact/). With a party of 8, I suggest reservations for dinner and lunch. The best places book up fast.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

I don't think children that age would appreciate Fort Sumter as much as Fort Moultrie. Much more for them to explore at Fort Moultrie. Fort Sumter would take more of your time also. You can have lunch or dinner at Poe's Tavern afterwards. There is a children's museum that they might enjoy. Look at the menu for Peninsula Grill, it may be a bit overdone for the children. I love Five Loaves. They also serve dinner which I would love to try. I'm sure they would enjoy the fountain at Waterfront Park.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

The only part of the Fort Sumter tour that my grandkids liked was the boat ride over and back. They did like Fort Moultrie and loved Poe's Tavern...great burgers and fries. There is also a small park near Poe's if the kids need to run off some energy.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

The 4-year-olds would love the Children's Museum, but the older kids would not.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

Wow! What nice ideas and advice!! Thank you also for those parking and transfers tips into Charleston, that's really helpful too. I will be taking all this information with me on this trip. I also need to check out this Fort Moultrie if you all think it's a better choice with the kids. Is their something else you'd suggest all together besides these fort sights? Thank you for these restaurant tips too! Also, I'm too late in booking that pirate tour because I just found out its sold out on the day I need. I may do the carriage tour in its place. Is their another tour anyone can suggest with the kids?

Edited: 27 June 2012, 16:34
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

I'm actually with Charleston Pirate Tours. We often add tours, when we're sold out. Let me know what day you wanted, and we'll see if we can add a tour.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

Fast & French might not be the best option for 4 little ones. The seating is communal and is lunch counter style on high stools. Fleet Landing might be fun. It is on the water.

First stop should be to the Visitors Center in the old train depot on Meeting St., between John and Mary Streets. They have discount information and brochures etc., including the Heritage Passport which gives you a discount entrance to several historic places downtown and to some of the plantations.

Then head over to Anson Street at Meeting Street and get a carriage tour. The routes are determined by a lottery system run by the city as they leave the boarding area so you never know which route will be assigned. All are good. It is to spread them out and to control the amount of traffic. Check out the horses' diapers! Note - if you see a half round thing with a flag attached on the street, don't pick it up - it is to mark the spot for the horse cleanup crew.

Walk through The Market. Good place to get souvenirs and fun place to shop.

Head down to Waterfront Park (Vendue Range at the Cooper River) and stroll down it past the Pineapple Fountain until you get to Exchange Street. Head up Exchange Street to East Bay Street then turn left. You will see Rainbow Row. Head on down and look at all the old homes then stop at the Edmonston-Alston House for a tour then head on down to the Battery (where the Cooper and Ashley Rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean). Head back up Church Street to Broad Street. Turn left on Broad.

Walk down Broad to Broad at Meeting Streets. That is "Four Corners of Law" - City Law (City Hall), State Law (County Courthouse), Federal Law (Federal Courthouse) and God's Law (St. Michael's). Continue down to King Street and take a right. King Street between Queen and Market Streets are all the antique$$$$$ $hop$. At Market Street, pop into the Charleston Place Hotel.

Take a tour out to Ft. Sumter. It is only accessible by boat tours and the kids love the boat ride. Patriots Point is neat for kids, too and can take 1/2 day.

The kids usually are not interested in the historical homes so some parents opt to take turns taking the tours and taking the little ones elsewhere.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

Thank you SCBlossom!!! I really appreciate what you have given me, that is all so helpful. I absolutely love your walking tour suggestion. What is the best way to break that up over two days. I know we will be slow and we like to stop to shop, eat, take pictures, etc, along the way.

Also, as for the historical houses in the city(I love touring these beautiful old homes), what would you all suggest if we could only see one??? We are first time visitors to the city as well. Thanks.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

If you can only do one, I would suggest either the Edmonston-Alston House or the Nathaniel-Russell House. The EA House is across from the raised sidewalk overlooking the water and about 1/2 block from White Point Gardens. The kids would enjoy the park there with the cannons, gazebo etc., while you take turns touring.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: .¸(¯`'•Charleston Itinerary w/Kids.·:*¨·Can You Help?.•'´¯)¸

.,(_* I concur *)-