We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Coutyard Inn

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
269 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Kings Coutyard Inn

Anyone stay at Kings Courtyard Inn recently? I am looking for a reasonable hotel in the Historic District, this hotel has a nice rate, offers a wine and cheese reception daily plus breakfast in the room which sounds lovely. The reviews are mostly good but there is one really bad one so I am just wondering if anyone was there recently and had any thoughts. Thanks!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

What does the one really bad one say?

I've known a few people who have stayed there. Reviews were neither good nor bad--in fact, they didn't even mention the place after they left. That could be a good thing, though!

Really depends what your budget is. For the same price as Kings Courtyard, I always recommend Vendue Inn. Same prices usually--much more charm and "flavor."

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
269 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

Actually, just checked and Vendue Inn is about $125 more a night than Kings Courtyard. Anyone else tried Kings Courtyard?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

Which "really bad" review are you referring to? Usually if all the reviews are good but one, you have an outlier that isn't worth worrying about.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
269 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

Well the one...like the second or third on here says there was a stench of mold and urine (GROSS) but then everyone else has such wonderful things to say. It seems odd.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

I never trust reviews on TA since I learned they really aren't reliable. Who knows who wrote it? There was an article a year or so ago that questioned TA reviews. I stopped writing them.

If you like the rate, book it. If you get a room that smells, ask to be moved.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

Always bear in mind that some business operators press guests to review on TA. Others do not. Many of Charleston's best restaurants, hotels, and tour companies rarely get reviews. These "under the radar" operators are doing fine without cultivating TA.

Kings Courtyard is a property of Charming Inns, a well-respected local company. Their other properties are the John Rutledge House and Wentworth Inn/ Circa 1886 Restaurant.

There are no flies on the Kings Courtyard Inn. I can't account for the negative reviewer's experience.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

Some reviews are fake, written by employees of the competition or in the case of "best place in the world" type raves, by employees or owners of the place in question. Can't speak for the one you are questioning ~ just keep in mind that they are not always true and/or reliable.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 02:05
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

I was wondering why Five Loaves had such good TripAdvisor reviews!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

Look out for people with only one or two reviews and no or a little past in contributions on TA. When in doubt, click on their name and see how many and what other reviews they have done in the past. That can help you decide whether to believe them or not - no matter whether rave or rant.

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kings Coutyard Inn

My husband and I stayed at this Inn approx 5 years ago and were very pleased. We alomost stayed at this Inn over the 4th of July but opted for other lodging due to the makeup of our party. I will be staying at this Inn in August with a girlfriend. Polite and accommodating staff coupled with a "hidden" location on King St, clean room, and nice inner courtyard with breakfast. Call the Inn directly for the best rate. We have also stayed at theFulton Inn which is a partner inn and were pleased with this experience as well.

Although we also love the Vendue Inn, I would argue with a previous posting that the rates are comparable as I have also found the rates to be about $75 - $100 more per night. I do like this Inn though.

Your may also want to consider the Meeting Street Inn. Although their direct on-line booking system may show no availability, call them to inquire. We have also had nice experiences here as well.