We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living and job market in Charleston

chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
living and job market in Charleston

Hello,

I would like to get any info about living and job market in Charleston. I want to take a job there which would benefit my career. We are living in Chicago where my husband is working as a computer programmer. We are not sure if he could find a job in a small town like Charleston.So it is tough decision. If only one person has a stable job in Charleston, would it be possible to have a decent life there?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Julia

charleston, south...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: living and job market in Charleston

You can find information about jobs in/around Charleston on the Chamber of Commerce website: www.charlestonchamber.net or the local newspaper's website: www.postandcourier.com. That will give you an idea of what the job market is like. Charleston (and its surrounding areas) are smaller than Chicago, but compared to other cities in South Carolina, it's the perfect place to live, balancing historic, urban, coastal, and rural life beautifully. If one person has a stable career in or around Charleston, I believe that a decent life is perfectly capable. Be sure to visit Charleston if you have never been here. If its your first vist, be careful-you'll most likely fall in love at first sight! Good luck to you!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living and job market in Charleston

There was a huge discussion about this a few months back on this forum. First, I don't know what kind/amount of jobs are available in Charleston as a computer programmer, but there is a computer "company" on Daniel Isalnd (see previous discussion on this forum). If you are finding a job that would benefit your career, make sure the salary will also. That is typically the problem. Great job, but little pay. Technically, yes, it is possible to have one person with a stable job and have a "decent" life, but I am not sure what type of "decent" life you have in Chicago. From personal experience, my husband's employer is based in Naperville, IL and Naperville (and its surrounding areas)are a higher cost of living than Mt. Pleasant (and Mt. Pleasant probably is the highest cost of living in Charleston, besides peninusla Charleston, Seabrook and Kiawah and Sullivan's Island). But, Charleston is a smaller town, and near the ocean, as opposed to Chicago's big city and great culture activities. A move from Chicago to Charleston is a difficult decision, and should be made with you and your family to determine which is best for all of you.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living and job market in Charleston

The computer company (or whatever they do, something with software maybe) on Daniel Island is Blackbaud.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: living and job market in Charleston

Blackbaud makes software for philanthropics, i.e. fund-raising endeavours. It used to be one of the best jobs in Charleston - good pay, great conditions, lots of benefits. Ever since it was sold to "big business", it has gone downhill. Some jobs pay very well, other positions are paid shamefully. They still claim to be so "employee friendly", but most of the folks here in the lowcountry know better.

I'm not trying to slam the company (Lord knows I could do a great job of that if I wanted to), just trying to set the record straight.

I wouldn't advise against working at Blackbaud, just that you make sure that you get everything you want and every question answered before you sign anything.

There are a lot of good companies in the Charleston region, you just have to be patient and look under every rock.