We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

HI All. my sister and I are traveling with our families (9 people in total) in mid August to the Charleston Area. We are there to see a friend in Meggett but also to explore the area a bit. we are confused as to what might be our best location.

We want to see Charleston and some of the Plantations and be able to introduce our children to the Barbados, Carolina Connection (my husband is from Barbados, where we live).

My sister's family lives in Vermont so she wants to be near the sea or beach.

I've checked TA, Homeaway, Flipkey etc. trying to find rental homes than hotels, if possible, and just really need help on deciding what area is best for us.

any assistance is appreciated.. and I'll ask the specific questions on those forums based on what I'm able to find out there. Thanks very much..

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

The Barbados connection is HUGE! Many of the early colonists came to Charles Town by way of Barbados, and you'll see lots of architectural influence. Probably the most famous Barbados name connected with Charleston is Stede Bonnet, who was with Blackbeard duing his blockade of the harbor... Bonnet was later tried and executed in Charleston. There's a marker in White Point Gardens (across from the Battery).

A lot of the rentals during the summer are weekly, but you may have some luck finding something, because SC schools start in mid-August, and things slow down a bit.

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

Have you looked at Edisto Island. From what I understand, it is cheaper to rent there than on the beaches closer to Charleston. It is in the same direction as Meggett.

I would forgo the plantations in August and instead go to Charlestown Landing, a state park with an interactive historical exhibition. It also has a zoo of native SC critters, which the original settlers would have encountered.

http://www.charlestowne.org/visitus.shtml

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,910 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

Your beach choices are limited to Folly Beach (20 min from downtown & on the same side of town towards Meggett), Edisto Island (closer to Meggett, an hour or more from downtown Charleston, but less expensive rentals) Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island (45 min from downtown, tends to be pretty pricey) and finally, on the opposite side of town from Meggett ~ the Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island (20 min from downtown, in the opposite direction from Folly).

There are no other beaches from which to choose. Google any of those beaches and you will find lots of info and of course, you can peruse the TA forums related to them as well.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

Thanks everyone..

My sister and I are originally from North Carolina. I relocated to Barbados after meeting and then marrying my husband. I've been to Charleston proper twice before, very briefly both times and love the connection between Barbados and Charleston. the history is amazing (will likely be lost on our children.. but we can try). We are looking at places in Edisto (as noted, cheaper). but that hour plus drive into Charleston just seem long.. Isle of Palm has been suggested as well, but haven't really looked in that direction (as yet).

thanks again for the responses so far..

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,910 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

I live on IOP, so will give any help that I can.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

How much time are you planning to spend with your friend in Meggett, and will you do all of your visiting with her actually in Meggett? Meggett is sort of between Chs and Edisto... and Meggett is a solid 40 minute drive from Edisto.

7. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2012, 17:05
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

If I remember correctly, the OP's sister looked at Edisto but couldn't find anything within budget. IOP probably won't be cheaper, and it's a much farther drive to Meggett from that side of the peninsula. I still think endo's rec of James Island might be a good one. It won't be as expensive as beach front, you might be able to get a partial week, and it won't be such a long drive to Meggett.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

Coming from Meggett, cut across Bees Ferry Road from Savannah Hwy. to get to Hwy. 61 to get to the plantations. Middleton Place has an African American Focus Tour and the house tour explains the Barbados connections very well.

The CawCaw Center is another place that many times has programs and displays. You might check with the Beaufort TA forum for information about Lady's Island area. I think they were opening a Gullah Center a while ago. The Gullah Tour or the Sights and Sounds of Charleston Tour might be a good option.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help needed re Charleston, Meggett and Beaches

Thanks for your help everyone. We have chosen a house on Edisto Island and will head that way on the 11th of August. Can't wait to see the area (it's been years since I've been in Charleston).. We will see friends and do some exploring. My husband is from Barbados (and I've lived here for 20 years) so we are also interested to see the Barbadian History as it unfolds in the area and enjoy some downtime on the island.