We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charleston, SC on a budget

Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Topic
charleston, SC on a budget

My wife and I are planning a trip to Charleston (the first since our diabetic child was born) and need advice on where to stay and go on a budget. Any suggestions? Archangel634

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

There are lots of variables! For best advice, please let us know your price range for accommodation, as well as approximate dates and length of stay.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

Staying in the downtown historic district will save money on transportation and parking. The least expensive decent hotels are usually Best Western King Charles and Days Inn Meeting Street.

If you want to stay near but not in downtown Charleston, look at hotels along Lockwood Blvd or in Mount Pleasant close to the Ravenel Bridge.

There is plenty to do in Charleston for free or close to free. The city itself is the attraction, and walking on your own is the way to see it.

Meals are the bank-breaker. If you want to go to a fine restaurant, choose lunch. Eat dinner somewhere inexpensive. You go to a downtown grocery store, Harris Teeter or Piggly Wiggly, and cater your own meals if you have a fridge in your room.

Cypress Restaurant has $5 burgers at the bar on Mondays. Check with them for details and to find how strictly the dining room dress code is applied in the bar area.

Look at the free Charleston City Paper online for deals and offers - there are usually several happy hour specials here or there.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

The time that you come makes a difference. Summer, of course, is high season. Certain other times of year when festivals, etc are going on can also lead to very high room rates.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

The Doubletree is a reasonable hotel to stay near the HD. Enjoy your visit.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

Hi archangel,

There is a little nest of hotels in Mt. Pleasant, just across the Ravenel Bridge from Charleston. They are considerably less expensive than across the bridge in the Historic District of Charleston. E.g. Quality Inn and Suites, Day's Inn, Red Roof Inn, etc. Go to Google Maps and search for "hotels near Mount Pleasant, SC".

Parking on the streets of Charleston is free all day on Sundays and after 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. But you have to put money in the meters from 8 or 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mon-Sat. The Historic District is fairly circumscribed, so maybe you could find a free place to leave your car, then get to the Historic District and just walk around to see things.

Some of the free things to do:

-Go to the Rooftop Bar on top of the Market Pavillion Hotel to see the view. It is wonderful! I like it especially at night! 225 E Bay St. You don't need to stay for drinks, so it would be free.

-Charleston has some beautiful and historic churches! Some of them will be openn. Stop and look inside.

-Visit some of the graveyards next to the churches. They are old and fascinating.

-Magnolia Cemetery about a half mile north of the entrance to the Ravenal Bridge, is a very old cemetery. It has lots of monuments and markers from the early days of Charleston and the wars, as well as the graves of the three crews of the Civil War's wooden hulled submarine, the Hunley. Free.

-The Citadel (military school) campus is interesting to drive around, and has a good museum. On Fridays during the academic year, there is a military parade on the campus that is worth seeing. Free.

-The Battery offers cool breezes and views out over the rivers. Walk back along East Battery and East Bay Streets, then cut over to Waterfront Park. The small City Gallery art museum (free) is right there and looks out on the Pineapple Fountain. At the north end of Waterfront Park is another big fountain and a public pier with swings!

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

Good luck finding a free place to park your car during daily business hours. There are very few places and you must be pretty early to get them. Over the years almost all the free parking has disappeared. Also, do no park in any lots that do not have an attendant - where you just put cash into a lock box. There have been many incidents of people getting their car booted and they have no receipt to prove that they paid.

One place that does have free parking is along the Battery on Murray Blvd., if you are there early.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

Ditto on not parking in lot without attendant. I'm one of the many, who got booted.

Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

Thanks for the reply. We expecting that we'll arrive on the 24th of July and would like to stay for four days. We'd like to keep accommodations around $100/night. I'm a history buff and she like's shopping so we're excited.

Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

Thanks Spirit and everyone that has lent their advice as it is sincerely appreciated. This has given us plenty of information to help us on our way. I'll let everyone know how things go. I just hope my wife can make it as she is already showing those signs about leaving our youngest.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: charleston, SC on a budget

You will also find just strolling through the residential area in the HD to be very romantic.