We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Hi all,

DH and I will be visiting SC relatives over the Labor Day holiday. We've visited numerous times in the past 20 years - have done all the plantations, Charlestowne Landing, Aquarium, Fort Sumter, carriage tour through the city, Waterfront Park, Cypress Gardens etc. We will be staying in Summerville and have a rental car for the entire 6 day stay.

We're two 40-somethings and a senior (my MIL) who like being outdoors, seeing the sights and chilling. I've usually planned our activities in the past which has made it easy for my MIL to visit SC places she's never been and to hang with us.

For this trip I was thinking:

Day 1 - we arrive early am (our chill day)

Day 2 - Downtown Charleston Day (Saturday)

- Nathaniel Russell House

- Gibbes Museum

- please suggest a restaurant for 3 adults with good Southern food (but not frou frou ;-)

- Aiken-Rhett House

- watch the sunset at Vendue Inn??

Day 3 - Sunday

- Brunch at High Cotton (any other suggestions - we want a nice brunch, have done Poogan's Porch before)

- Charleston Harbor Tour

Day 4 - Monday (Labor Day)

Looking for ideas???

Day 5 - Tuesday

- Isle of Palms Beach (probably leave around 11 am to go to beach)

- Would like to stop somewhere and have a nice lunch on way to IOP

- Would like to pick up a nice dinner on our way back to Summerville

Day 6 - Wednesday

we head home

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Sumter Tours
Fort Sumter Tours
242 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Cypress Gardens
Cypress Gardens
256 Reviews
Moncks Corner, SC
Summerville
Summerville
South Carolina
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Nathaniel Russell House
Nathaniel Russell House
1,656 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Aiken-Rhett House
Aiken-Rhett House
1,341 Reviews
Charleston, SC
High Cotton Charleston
High Cotton Charleston
2,143 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Poogan's Porch
Poogan's Porch
6,318 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston Harbor Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
2,760 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Isle of Palms Beach
Isle of Palms Beach
145 Reviews
Isle of Palms, SC
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Have you tried Magnolia's?

Take a look at Boulevard Diner (Coleman Blvd in Mt. Pleasant) and Crave (Seaside Farms Shopping Ctr, right off IOP Connector) for lunch on way to IOP.

You might want to check out the Charleston Visitors Center website for ideas on tours/attractions. I'm sure you'll find plenty that you've not yet done. Link is http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Have you seen the Hundley or Magnolia Cemetery? The Charleston Museum is very nice, too. The Citadel parade will probably not be held that soon in the school year but it is usually held on Friday afternoons. The times vary. There is a nice (free) museum on the campus, plus the library has some nice displays. The chapel on the campus is beautiful and there is an interesting display on Mark Clark in the student center.

I would suggest SNOB, Magnolia's or Mills House for lunch. If you don't mind leaving the HD, Hominy Grill is good.

On the way to IOP from Summerville, get off I-526 at Long Point and go right. Just before you get to the port is the Long Point Grill. Very good!

Mentioned in this post
Magnolia Cemetery
Magnolia Cemetery
457 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston Museum
Charleston Museum
817 Reviews
Charleston, SC
The Citadel
The Citadel
640 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Hominy Grill
Hominy Grill
4,195 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Summerville
Summerville
South Carolina
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

I always enjoy 82 Queen, which is just around the corner from the Gibbes, for lunch in the garden courtyard. Make a reservation for the gazebo section, which is shaded and and has big fans overhead. My daughter, my "senior" parents, and I had lunch in the gazebo just before July 4, when the reported air temps were in the 90s. Lunch and climate were perfect!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

It is the "Hunley", not the "Hundley" ~ probably just a typo, but did not want you to be confused.

In Mt. Pleasant, I would choose Sette or Mustard Seed over Boulevard Diner for lunch. All owned by the same person. Okra Grill might be a good choice also. (different owner)

www.dinewithsal.com

Mentioned in this post
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed
318 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Super suggestions everyone. Have not been on the Hunley and we've eaten at the restaurant at Magnolia Plantation but not Magnolia's. Love the meal suggestions - reserved 82Queen for lunch on Saturday since it was so close to Gibbes and the menu looked good. I'll check out the menus for our IOP day and decide. We actually need two restaurants - one for lunch and one for dinner, so I'll pick two and post reviews when I get back. Thanks so much everyone. Hoping for warm but not overly hot Labor Day weather!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Because they do tours only on the weekend, and the holiday weekend might be busy, you might want to get Hunley tix in advance. Link is hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=TOURS.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

Sunset would be more fun at Shem Creek than at Vendue.

Mentioned in this post
Shem Creek Inn
Shem Creek Inn
162 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
8. Re: Itinerary critique and suggestions requested please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 05:16