We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

MD
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

I will be in Charleston on 8/5 and 8/6 with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 6) and currently have res. at the Courtyard. I can get a room at Best Western for close to the same price - does anybody have a preference based on location, amenities, kid-friendliness or otherwise? As far as what we plan to do, I also could use some suggestions. We will have car and I do want o see the Yorktown; as far as the plantations, Forts, Mansions go - anybody have favs that 2 young boys would enjoy? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

Both locations are good and walkable to everything in HD. Best Western is a little bit more central. The Marriott Courtyard used to be a Holiday Inn. It was taken over by Marriott in the last year and completely renovated. I think I would go with the Courtyard. Do both have pool for the kids?

MD
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

Cabinet, thanks. They both have pools. Pending any additional comments and all things being equal, i'll probably stick w/ the Courtyard since I already have a res.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

I'd choose Middleton Place for plantation. They have a working stableyard with animals. You'll also find period-dressed craftsmen doing things like pottery, leartherwork, etc.

Something else you'd enjoy... Barrier Island Eco Tours. They leave from Isle of Palms Marina and do tours to Capers Island, an undeveloped barrier island. You could do that in the morning, grab lunch, then head over to Sullivan's Island (minutes away) and see Fort Moultrie.

I also suggest that you check out the Charleston Visitors Center Website for loads of info on activities. You'll also find coupons for attractions. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

They might enjoy taking the water taxi over to the Yorktown. I agree with Middleton Place. The stableyards are great for the kids. This time of the year they may see an alligator or two in one of the ponds...just do not get too close!

The BW is closer to most of the things you will want to see and do as well as the restaurants. It might be handy for popping in for naps or to drop off packages during the day.

Remember the sunscreen! Dress cool, loose and light. Walk on the shady side of the street.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,945 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

To be honest... I would skip the plantation. I don't think you have enough time. Going to the Yorktown will take roughly half a day, I would go there in the morning, get lunch in Mt. Pleasant and then drive out to Sullivan's Island to see Ft. Moultrie. If you time things right you might possibly be able to add in the barrier island eco tour on this day as well, but that would be a very full day. Ft. Sumter can be reached only by boat and again, takes about half your day.

You will want to spend some time walking around downtown a bit to see all the great architecture, etc. One way to do this would be to take a carriage ride, which most children enjoy and you get to hear some history as well. The Waterfront Park downtown is nice for a picnic and has a great fountain area that kids love to play in. They will get wet tho, so plan on a change of clothes afterwards.

Middleton Place is great, but it will take half a day, plus the 30-40 trip each way, depending on traffic.

If you have not already done so.... go to the top right of this page and look over "Top Questions", it will give you lots of info and suggestios of things to see and do. There are even some sample intineraries to check out.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 22:34
6. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 22:05
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

My son (age 15) and I just visited Charleston. We stayed one night at the Inn at Middleton Plantation and then a few nights at Best Western King Charles. My son wished we would have stayed at the Middleton Inn longer. We did a fabulous horseback ride (not sure if your kids would be too young for this?), we saw lots of alligators in the ponds and Ashley River, and loved just walking around to explore. The entrance into the Plantation Grounds is free with your stay at the Inn (I think usually $25pp), and we had a wonderful dinner at the Middleton Restaurant. The Middleton Plantation has a farming area with animals, barns, exhibits - and the grounds were so beautiful. There is a pool and lovely evening reception. The King Charles was also fabulous and we found it was a perfect location. There is a pool there and also an evening happy hour with some cheese/crackers. Free parking and free wi-fi. We were able to walk to shopping, restaurants and some of the sights. The staff was exceptional and gave great tips on restaurants and things to do. We very much enjoyed our drive to Sullivan's Island and Fort Moultrie. There is also a short pier at the end of the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center parking lot (across the street from the actual Fort) to walk down and enjoy. I tried to plan a trip my son would enjoy, and knowing he enjoys the outdoors and water activity, we decided to skip any Mansion tours. There are some beautiful churches and cemeteries to visit in Charleston without formal tours if that is of interest (Cathedral of St. John or St. Michael's Episcopal Church has a beautiful church and adjacent cemetary, and you can also watch the ladies making sweetgrass baskets across the street). Have a wonderful trip.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

Thank you so much for choosing the King Charles Inn! We appreciate your business!

9. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 August 2012, 23:14
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,945 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Courtyard Charleston Hist. Dist vs. Best West. King Charles

To KingCharlesGM and John D.... Both of you do REALIZE that TA is NOT a place for self promotion and advertising, RIGHT????

These posts are out of place.