We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City market eats

New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
City market eats

Could I get some suggestions for a reasonable place in the City Market area to have lunch? We will be there August 10. Somewhere air conditioned! Also, if you park at the main visitors center, can we walk to the Market-again, remembering that it will be HOT!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,819 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City market eats

The actual walk is about 1 mile, but will feel much longer in the heat and humidity. There are parking garages much closer to the Market than the Visitor Center's lot. And, parking in Charleston is MUCH less expensive than in NJ/NY. Here is a map of parking lots and garages in Charleston - charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/parking_ga…

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City market eats

LOL, remind us it will be hot! Heck, it's hot now.

Park at the Visitor's Center to get what you need there, then drive down to the parking garage off East Bay at Cumberland. SNOB on East Bay is great for lunch.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City market eats

I have walked from Sugar Bake Shop, which is past the visitor's center, to the market area in the humidity. It is not fun, unless you enjoy being soaked in sweat! I would take the other poster's advice and park in a closer garage. There is a parking garage in the Bank of America building.

There are several reasonable places for lunch. Toast, Barbara Jean's, Low Country Bistro, Jestine's Tabbouli, Fleet Landing (short walk from the market area, but it overlooks the water and you might see dolphins), and Cafe Paradiso, just to name a few. There are other places that are a little more upscale, but have reasonable lunch prices, but still cost more than the places I mentioned. Some of those are SNOB (someone else mentioned this, and it is very good), Magnolia's, Poogan's Porch, and 82 Queen. Poogan's Porch and 82 Queen are a short walk from the market area.

I don't think you can go wrong with whichever place you choose. I have been to all the restaurants I listed except for 82 Queen for lunch and have never had a bad lunch at any of them.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 03:59
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City market eats

I forgot to mention that Cafe Paradiso and Tabbouli are more Mediterranean, and Cafe Paradiso is more like a quick lunch with lots of sandwiches type of place. It is still good though.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City market eats

Where to eat depends a lot on what you like and how formal/informal you want to be. Tommy Condon's is a great Irish pub on Church Street and Hyman's Seafood is right there on Meeting Street. If you want more formal there is Hank's Seafood close by on Hayne Street. There are many places close to the Market. Check Charleston websites or google maps identify many.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City market eats

I agree with getting what you need from the visitors center then parking in a lot in a more central location.

Tommy Condons is ok but not great and I never recommend Hymans. Just a quick note - avoid any place in Charleston that has to hawk on the street to bring in business. The really good places do not need to do this. Hank's is only open for dinner. I would suggest SNOB, Magnolia or 82 Queen. Be sure to make reservations unless you go very early or very late to lunch.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City market eats

Well I happen to like Hyman's (and so do a lot of other people it is usually packed) and I think that Tommy Condon's has great food You are right about Hank's thoug...not open for lunch (what was I thinking!) SNOB is also a good choice

Charleston
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City market eats

I won't link it because I don't have a reason to say anything negative about Hyman's. But if you look at charleston,eater.com website; the 7/20/12 entry shows what locals actually think about Hyman's.

9. Re: City market eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:16