We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston and Kiwah Island

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston and Kiwah Island

Another,couple wants to meet my husband and I in Charleston. We are thinking of late April or early May. I would also like to add a couple of days on Kiwah Island since ainhave heard it is beautiful. Should we spend more time in charleston or at Kiwah or the same ( 2 and 2, 3 and 3)? i have never been there before. We are not gofers...just visiting and enjoying the scenery and a different pace. Can you share your thoughts? Do we have the time of year right to enjoy the weather? Thank you for your help...

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston and Kiwah Island

Since you are not particularly interested in all the outdoor activities that Kiawah has to offer (much more than just golf), you might put more time into Charleston and do the lesser time at Kiawah. If you are interested in biking, kayaking, strolling the beach, etc. then do spend more time on Kiawah.

There is more than enough to do no matter what amount of time you spend in either place. What it amounts to is what you want to do while in each location.

Read through the Top Questions and make a priority list and we can help you plan your time to maximize what you have and where.

April/May ought to be a fine time to enjoy the area.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 13:08
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston and Kiwah Island

Charleston has a tremendous amount to see, do, fantastic restaurants, etc I would plan on 4 days for Charleston and 2 for Kiawah. April and May are wonderful times to visit, especially April. The flowers are blooming then and weather is usually gorgeous. Be sure and make your reservations sometime in advance of your dates. Since it is busy then, you don't want to wait and not be able to find something.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston and Kiwah Island

If you want a beach vacation but not golf, stay at one of the other beaches but if you want historical charm and to see all that Charleston holds including great restaurants, you will want to stay in the Historical District.

That is one of the busiest times here so do make your reservations early. When making your reservations, be sure to get Historical District and not Downtown. There is a big difference!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston and Kiwah Island

If you are interested in swimming in the ocean, the water in April and early May might be a little to cold. However, it's a beautiful time of year, and temps are much more pleasant for sightseeing.

5. Re: Charleston and Kiwah Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 10:15