We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Hi all. I am trying to plan a getaway for my sister and I April 2013. We love history, architecture, gardens and food! We were thinking of doing "the south" and thought of seeing Charleston and Savannah. We would fly into one and then out from the other. So far, I have booked 3 nights in Charleston (so gives us 2 full days) and then 3 nights in Savannah with an open night in the middle -- my thought was to book that middle night in Beaufort. We will rent a car to go from Charleston to Savannah. Wondering if this is a good plan or am I trying to cram in too much and should just do 3 nights in Charleston and 4 nights in Savannah or vice verse? thanks, Diane

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,699 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Charleston has much more offer than does Savannah. Much more to see and do, etc. I would allow 4 days for Charleston and 2 for Savannah. Charleston was settled in 1670 and retains many more historic buildings, plantations, etc.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

A week to experience Charleston and Savannah sounds just right. Airlines being what they are, you'll probably need to go roundtrip from one city or the other.

If you have already booked rooms for April 2013, you are limiting yourself for no reason. Spend some time researching before you decide.

"doing the south." Please.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

I agree with Endo. So much of Savannah was burned during the Civil War and in comparison, very little was burned in Charleston. There is also much more to do and see in Charleston. I would spend 2 days in Savannah, 1 on the road between with a stop in Beaufort and Old Sheldon Ruins then 4 in Charleston.

Check the fares for both places. A good place to compare airfare is www.kayak.com

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

SCBlossom,

Savannah DID NOT burn during the Civil War.

If you want to argue otherwise, provide a link!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,699 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Well, whatever happened to Savannah ~ it does not offer near as many historic options as Charleston.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

While you are correct that Sherman did not burn Savannah, there was a great deal of burning by the Northern troops in and around Savannah. Much more than here. There was also extensive shelling. There was also many properties burned by renegade troops, just as there was in the Charleston area, ie the plantations all along the Ashley River. This occured all over the South.

AA - there is no need for tackiness! I would be happy to share my extensive library with you. Many of these are not available "by links".

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Hi Diane,

For some interesting history, tour the Hunley which was recently recovered from under the ocean floor after being lost for a century and a half. This is the wood hulled submarine that sank the USS Housatonic in Charleston Harbor in the Civil War.. Then go to the nearby Magnolia Cemetery and visit the graves of the three crews that died in that submarine's sinkings. Tours of the Hunley are given every Saturday 10 AM to 5 PM, and Sunday 12 PM to 5 PM. Last tour begins at 4:40 PM.

The Hunley: hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=TOURS

Magnolia Cemetery: www.scocr.org/Links/MagnoliaCemetery.htm

"Charleston" is a really good historical novel set in Charleston, written by John Jakes. It makes good reading for the trip!

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

Edited: 02 August 2012, 16:49
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

I would still argue for a middle trip stop in Beaufort with a night at one of our B&Bs!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Be sure to post this on the Savannah forum too. Savannah and Charleston are quite different, and each is worth several days.

Neither city was burned during the Civil War. Savannah surrendered, and the Confederates evacuated Charleston.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Charleston - Savannah trip

Hi All -- thanks for the suggestions, it has been helpful. Yes, I did post on the Savannah forum also.

Ok, so I have a Savannah Hotel booked for April 20th and check out on the 24th. Then Charleston the 24th - 27th. I am also thinking of booking a b&b in Beaufort for the 23rd and then I will just adjust our reservations in Savannah to leave one day earlier. I think this will work well and we can meander our way from Savannah to Charleston and see Beaufort and maybe a couple of plantations on the way? Any suggestions?

Thanks again, Diane