We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

Hi

we are an Australian family with two young children, aged 3 and 5, and will be visiting Charleston for 6 nights in April.

I would love some feedback on our itinerary in and around Charleston please.

We fly to Atlanta, 1 night, or none I am undecided...

Drive to Reynold Plantation on Lake Oconee; 3 nights

drive to Charleston; 6 nights

Kiawah Island; 2 or 3 nights

Beaufort; 1 night

Savannah; 5 nights

Sea Island/St Simons; 3 nights

We love to explore slowly, eat well and play in a park when we need to.

We hope to immerse ourselves into the Southern culture a little during our trip.

Would you change things around? Stay longer? Less? Somewhere else I have missed?

Thanks

C

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

The Charleston Visitors Center website is a good place to start for ideas of what to do. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

I think you are allowing too much time for Savannah, I'm not sure you will be able to fill that much time. Personally, I would probably subtract at least one night if not 2 from Savannah.

I think you have allowed a nice amount of time for Charleston. Charleston has much more to see and do than does Savannah. Savannah is smaller and lost much of their history over the years, where Charleston preserved more. Besides the historic district, with it's concentration of historic sites, we have plantations, Patriot's Point, Ft. Sumter, Ft. Moultrie, Angel Oak, the only remaining and active tea plantation in the US, local beaches,

You might want to consider adding an extra night in Beaufort, which is a lovely little town. I think you would enjoy a visit to the adjacent Hunting Island State Park.

A very unique experience about an hour outside of Charleston is the Beidler Forest. There are boardwalks through an old growth southern swamp, an eco system that is found in only certain areas of the southern US. Tremendous opportunities for viewing wildlife, birds, etc.

www.beidlerforest.audubon.org

www.historiccharleston.org

www.charlestonteaplantation.com

www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

I agree with Endo. You could spend a lifetime in Charleston and not see it all.

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

Thanks so much.

Beaufort looks beautiful and we are thinking about staying at Rhett House inn, what do you guys think of it?

So if we change Savannah to 4 nights and Beaufort to 2, or do you think 3 each? Or 3 Savannah, 2 Beaufort and add one to Kiawah Island?

I really appreciate all your comments, it's tricky when w=you are unfamiliar with an area, but GA and SC have been on my "must see" list for years.

And is there anywhere else you would recommend for this first trip, as I am sure there will be many more!

Also Atlanta...do you think it's worth a night here or should we add it to elsewhere?

C

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

Rhett House Inn is wonderful.

I would probably do 3 Savannah, 2 Beaufort and add the extra one in somewhere else. I don't think a single night in Atlanta is worth it. Perhaps add the extra night there and then you would have time to see a few things. Stone Mountain, the State House with the gold roof and pink georgia marble inside, etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

Cool, so Atlanta is worth a visit in itself? It's not just another big city, If you know what I mean...Not being insulting to Atlanta, but you know that sometimes a city is a city.

Do you think 6 nights in Charleston is enough?

C

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

I agree w/Endo, above, about Charleston.

Cut 2 nights off Savannah, add a night on Kiawah, there's always tons to do here, no matter the time of year, and since you've already planned 6 nights in Charleston, why not make it 7 and find a carriage house or apartment to rent in the Historic District for a week???

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

Completely agree with reducing your nights in Savannah. Two nights in Beaufort would be fantastic, and the Rhett House Inn is really nice. You may also be interested in the Beaufort Inn or the Cuthbert House Inn as well.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to general information about Beaufort. I'm the DE for Beaufort on TripAdvisor and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our town!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c148454/Beaufo…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

In my opinion: Do three nights on Kiawah; two nights in Beaufort; and three nights in Savannah.

You've planned a marvelous trip. There are fascinating examples of "southern culture" around and between the destinations you've identified, so allow time to wander. When your plan is set, we will provide specific suggestions.

Chances are that you will want to come back to several of the locations you are visiting.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Charleston and beyond; opinions please.

To add the extra day onto Charleston and rent an apt/carriage house in the historic district for a week is an awesome idea. Would give you a real sense of being in the city, plus, having the kitchen, etc would allow you to save a bit of $$ by having breakfast, snacks, etc in ~ rather than having to eat all of your meals out.

Atlanta IS just another big city, but it does have some things that are worth seeing. However, given the choice between using additional nights in Atlanta or one of the more quaint locations with more character..... I would probably skip Atlanta. It's a tough call tho. I was born there and have lived there, so I have a soft spot for it, but I really love Charleston and have lived here for over 30 years now.