We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folly beach

Wilkesboro NC
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Folly beach

We are going to Charleston for the weekend and want to spend the day at Folly Beach. Where is the best place to park and set up if we want to rent chairs and umbrellas and be able to walk to a lunch place and around the little town? Also, how strictly is the no alcohol ban enforced for non-rowdy all adult people just relaxing on the beach.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folly beach

I would not test the alcohol ban at this time. Unless you are willing to risk a $1000 fine. Folly has reached its limit on this front. The only place to rent chairs is in front of the Tides for $23. Conviently, there is an outside bar where you can get food and beverages.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folly beach

Yeah....drinking on Folly = NOT a good idea.

Renting chairs is expensive (in my opinion). Last time I was there I picked up some cheap metal/plastic chairs from a Walgreens for under $20/chair. You can throw them away at the end of the trip, or give them away, or bring them home.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folly beach

To add to Ben's post - there is a Walgreen's conveniently located at the corner of Folly and Camp Rds on the way to the beach.

Despite the alcohol ban, please, please don't let it sway you from going to Folly and enjoying the great restaurants and bars. These establishments and their staffs are the ones most affected by the ban and need the business!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Folly beach

Even better, buy the little chairs at a Folly Beach retailer. Piggly Wiggly is in the town, even though it's not beachfront.

tenn
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Folly beach

Along that same lines, how about IOP? We are well behaved adults and enjoy a few beers while out on the beach. Is this strictly enforced there as long as you have a drink in a plastic cup and not causing trouble?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Folly beach

You can probably get away with it on IOP. You are safer having something in a plastic jug in your cooler and pouring into cups. Police have been known to ask to look inside people's coolers. If they see beer cans....

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Folly beach

All bars on Folly are within walking distance of the beach. You can pick up your beach needs at Mr. John's on the corner of E. Cooper and Center street also.

The people who came with full coolers full did not frequent the establishments. Business was as usual in the bars/restaurants this weekend, at least the 2 where I went. Coming into the local bars gives you a chance to meet locals. We love to socialize.

Charleston
Level Contributor
561 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Folly beach

For beach rentals try Summer Rentals, LLC. They have free delivery so you can meet them whereever you choose and they will bring the gear to you.

Very nice local couple who is running this business.

www.summerrentalsc.com

northwest
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Folly beach

DianeFollybeach you sound like my kinda gal!!!! We are coming to Folly for just that reason it sounds like a fun friendly kinda place.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Folly beach

Webfeet - locals were very friendly and social. You will love it.