We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston area beaches

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Charleston area beaches

We want to spend half a day walking around and then have lunch on the water at one of the area beaches -which one is best?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston area beaches

On the right hand side of the screen, under "Top questions about Charleston," six questions down: Which Beach is Best? Check it out

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston area beaches

Be aware: restaurants with great views rarely have great food. They don't have to try. This time of year any place on any of the beaches will be crowded, more so on weekends. If it were me, I'd walk on the beach (any of them will do) then go into Mt Pleasant, James Island, or Charleston for lunch. Look at Mustard Seed or Boulevard Diner at dinewithsal.com.

If you really want a water view at lunch go to Coconut Joe's and Banana Cabana. Expect pricey everything.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston area beaches

If you plan to explore the historic district, then travel to one of the beaches for lunch, you are looking at a very late lunch. Charleston's historic district is compact, but large. And, the closest beaches are at least 20 minutes away.

I suggest that you enjoy lunch at one of the wonderful restaurants in the historic district, then travel to the beach for relaxation. Come back to a restaurant on Shem Creek (if you go to Isle of Palms or Sullivans Island) or to Bowens Island Restaurant (if you go to Folly Beach) for dinner with a great sunset view over the water.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston area beaches

Do you want to spend the half-day before lunch at the beach or in Charleston?

If you're coming in the summer, a beach walk is much nicer in the AM. You could get up, hit it to Isle of Palms for incredible breakfast at Seabiscuit Cafe (someone correct me if they've closed - I haven't been in two years) then have beach walk. On your way back to Charleston, stop at Boulevard Diner or Page's Okra Grill in Mt. Pleasant for lunch. They'll welcome you even if you're dirty - but be aware that Page's has Severe airconditioning.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston area beaches

If you're talking this summer and walking around downtown, I would suggest that in the morning and a visit to the beach in the afternoon. It's hot no matter where you go, but is a bit cooler on the beach than downtown.

Ithaca, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston area beaches

Agree on the downtown morning, beach afternoon idea, unless you want sunrise over the ocean. I'd suggest the southern end of Sullivan's Island. The sun sets over the harbor and frankly there's more to see that way than just the ocean. I don't think Sullivan's has any literally beachfront restaurants but they aren't far from the ocean on the main drag. Just don't park illegally! The Isle of Palms has true beachfront dining; the food can be ok. Folly is funkier and more lively even with its recent beach-alcohol ban. One thing no matter where you go, though, is to check the tide tables. On Folly especially you won't have a lot of beach at high tide except on the extreme southern end. Oh, and don't swim in any of the inlets -- the currents and sudden drop-offs make them dangerous.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston area beaches

Not true about high tides at Folly. Actually, the southern end where the County Park is located is closed due to erosion indefinitely. There are wide beaches in both directions until approximately 10th street both ways.

Folly is a great contrast to downtown--slightly bohemian, laid back. I would suggest Folly in the afternoon, a cocktail at the Marina for the views, then dinner at Bowen's Island. It's a perfect Folly Day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston area beaches

Sullivan's island. Lunch at Poes

9. Re: Charleston area beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 07:16