We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston or Savannah?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newton...
Level Contributor
4 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston or Savannah?

I have to choose between Charleston and Savannah for a couple of days in early December. Have never been to either. We like good restaurants, historic sites, walkable cities (we're from Boston), and gardens (although I suppose there isn't much along those lines in December even in the deep South!). Any comparisons between the two cities or any opinions about which would offer a better weekend would be appreciated.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

We get this question all the time. Charleston has much more to see and do than does Savannah. We have retained much more of our historic architecture, etc. Also have world class restaurants, several James Beard award winning chefs, etc.

Savannah is nice, but if you are only doing one, pick Charleston. Look to the right your post and see "Top Questions about Charleston". It will provide you with tons of info and even some sample intineraries.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

Ok, I'm biased... but CHARLESTON! Very walkable, history dating back to 1670, incredible architecture, award-winning restaurants (recognized world-wide as foodie destination), beautiful beaches (too cold to swim in Dec, but great for a peaceful stroll), great cultural scene, Conde Naste #1 US city.

Come on down and see us!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Charleston. I live between both cities, and while I visit Savannah more often, I would prefer Charleston.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

We just made the trip and We thought both cities were great but very different. You ca n see and eat your way through Savannah in four or five days. The squares are gorgeous and the vibe relaxed. Charleston is more. It is more touristy, more historic, history abounds and you cannot believe how much. The restored houses are better and more frequent and the restaurants simply are grand. Choosing one city over another would depend on your individual tastes!

We personally will return to Charleston because we now feel we have seen Savannah.

ZB

Los Gatos, CA...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

We just returned from Charleston and since it was our first time, we will be returning. There is so much to do and was great with rich history. People are wonderful and the traffic was not bad at all. It was only bad when traveling in Kiawah Island, Folly Beach, and near the Charleston Tea Plantation. I highly recommend Charleston.

By the way, the beach is beautiful and relaxing.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

I agree with #4.

The only reason I keep going back to Savannah is because it's a nice day trip and/or 1 night retreat from Jax.

If I had the option of Savannah or Charleston, and both were the same distance, I'd pick Charleston 10/10 times.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

Charleston is a great city but if I only had two/three days I would go to Savannah. It's a great place to visit. It's not as large as Charleston and much easier to visit IMO. Enjoy your trip.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

Charleston people will say Charleston, Savannah people will say Savannah. I'm happy that others have given opinions. But really, you don't have to choose. Do one now, and then the other later. Both are worth more than a weekend.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

We first visited Charleston a few years ago and then again the next year (and we will definitely be returning). I have always wanted to visit Savannah though, too. Last week we vacationed in Hilton Head and I was so looking forward to finally visiting Savannah. However, I was very disappointed. We are glad we visited for the day, especially since we were so close but also glad that we did not go out of our way to visit. We definitely prefer Charleston. Cleaner, quieter, more grand homes, more historic sites. I know there are people who are big Savannah fans, but I feel like we just didn't "get it". Or maybe we would have liked it better if we had never been to Charleston. Now that I have been to both, I would definitely choose Charleston, but maybe if you just have a few days in December and plan on visiting both eventually visit Savannah first and then Charleston when you have more time.

10. Re: Charleston or Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 August 2012, 22:25