We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shem Creek area Trip Report

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Shem Creek area Trip Report

I had the opportunity to visit this area in March while planning a wedding for my daughter. We were looking for a fun little spot to hold the rehearsal lunch/dinner and looking for a hotel for wedding guests.

We found the perfect spot and I must report that all 20 plus people that were part of the wedding party LOVED the Shem Creek Inn and the whole Shem Creek area. There was not negative to report.

The rehearsal lunch was held at Waters Edge...the staff and management were very accomodating....food was delicious. We were all delighted.

Some of us stayed at the Inn for 5 nights, others could only stay 1 night. The hotel was clean, comfortable, and everyone had a pleasant stay here. We all wish that we lived closer to visit more often. There is so much to take in here....the water, the restaurants, boats, birds, walks on the marsh boardwalk, pool,. The Waters Edge Tiki Bar next door was a real hit, great happy hour. There is a spot to rent stand up paddleboards & kayaks. Another bar/restaurants (Vicory's) is located on the other side of the Inn and they stay open later than the tiki bar....across the creek are a few other bars/restaurants....Reds Ice House, JBs. You can park your car and never have to drive again while you stay here.

There is a water taxi service that will take you into Charleston. However, I am under the impression that this is a new service, the boat only accomodates 6 people and does not start its run till about noon....too late for alot of us who wanted to spend a day there. Perhaps in the future the taxi will be expanded. I think the last return boat arrives about 8:30.

Mount Pleasant is a lovely area....if we return to the Charleston area, we will stay here. Loved it!

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shem Creek area Trip Report

I forgot to add....the timing of this trip was August 21st thru the 26th. and the wedding was held on the Cotton Dock at Boone Hall Plantation.....it was STUNNING!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shem Creek area Trip Report

You got some awesome weather during that time!! Today it is 92 with a humidity of about 1,000%!! Sweltering.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shem Creek area Trip Report

I remember your posts trying to plan that wedding. I'm so glad it went well. Thanks for writing a report.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shem Creek area Trip Report

Endo...you can imagine how pleased we all were at the weather! When speaking with the local residents, they too were thrilled with the weather. I know we were lucky....But, we did have the mister fans...and they not only kept everyone cool while dancing, etc, they also kept the bugs away. Not one complaint about bugs.

on a side note: may of you soon enjoy cooler, less humid weather soon.

our whole stay in that area was wonderful

5. Re: Shem Creek area Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:17