We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

We are visiting Georgia for the Masters in 2013 and will then visit SC. after the Sunday masters we'll leave Augusta and head in the Charleston direction, staying in a cheap motel overnight so we can arrive in Charleston early on the Monday. We'll fly back from Atlanta the following Sunday so have 5 nights in between. I had thought Charleston 2 nights, Kiawah 1 then HH or Savannah for 1, however having spent days researching I'm not so sure now. Seems Charleston has much more to keep us busy than 2 full days. We really want to play the Ocean course in Kiawah but I'm not sure if we must stay there or not, The sanctuary looks great so a 1 or 2 night stay there would be a real treat. Would 3 nts charleston, 2 kiawah be better- and just take a late evening flight home from Atlanta and drive through HH and savannah on the way back to Atlanta airport?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

Sorry, I meant original thoughts were Charleston 2 nts, Kiawah 1, HH/Savannah 2 nts

Edited: 23 September 2012, 15:10
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,068 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

Personally, I would probably skip Savannah/HHI altogether and spend the time between Kiawah and Charleston. There is enough in the Charleston area to keep you busy the entire 5 days if you wanted. Savannah has retained much less of their historic sites and buildings than has Charleston. Charleston is also larger. Kiawah is all about golf and the beach - not much else to see or do there. (regarding attractions, history, etc) Nearby John's Island has some good restaurants, Angel Oak tree, etc. Kiawah is about 45 min from downtown historic Charleston. There are others on this board who can give you much more info about Kiawah than I can. I would say 3 nights Charleston, maybe one in historic Beaufort in a great B&B, and one in Kiawah.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

I'd skip HHI and Kiawah and just do Charleston and Savannah.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,068 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

But.... they really want to play the ocean course on Kiawah.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

I agree w/spending the time between Charleston and Kiawah and forgetting the rest of it, too much road time for what you have.

Take the 2 nights on Kiawah, to get more of the feel of the island, The Sanctuary is wonderful

and you can rent bikes right there to further explore the island in addition to playing the Ocean Course and enjoying the beach for a bit.

There is way more to do here than you will be able to do in just your short time. No, you don't have to stay on the island, but you will have a much more relaxing and enjoyable visit, if you do.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 18:51
Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

Of course the Ocean Course is the most famous but Kiawh offers other great courses as well and you could make a great Golf vacation out of it. After all I believe Kiawh is rankes as the 3rd best golf destination is the USA. I would leave HHI and Savannah out altogether and decide if you want to split time between Kiawah and Charleston or make Kiawah your home base and play golf and visit Charleston for 2 full days.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 20:59
7. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 12:18
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

Going to mimic everyone else and say skip HHI and Savannah totally. Not worth the drive IMO.

Stick with Charleston/Kiawah.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

Spend two days on Kiawah and definitely check out at least one of the other courses. Cougar point was originally Marsh Point, a Gary Player design that has been rebuilt and spends a large amount of time on the marsh side of the Island. Turtle point is long, a Jack Nicklaus design with some beautiful ocean front holes. Osprey Point is another beautiful course built by Tom Fazio that is a lot of fun to play. Try and look at the weather and pick a less windy day for the Ocean Course, makes a huge difference in how it plays.

10. Re: 5 nights Charleston, Kiawah and maybe HH/Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 05:15