We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Charleston, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
pub tour

We looked into the "pub tour" that is $30, but doesn't seem worth the price. Is there a way to find a guide to hire that has historical knowledge of the pubs for a guided walking tour for a group of 6-7 people?

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pub tour

There is more than one pub tour in town. Check listings on visitors center website at http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/tours~32/walking~61/.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pub tour

With as many pubs as we have, it seems unnecessary to take an organized tour - you've got that right. I personally would rather spend my $30 in the pubs and take a historic walking tour during the day. If you do that, you'll spend a lot less and if you get a knowledgeable guide, ask him/her to give you a couple of pub suggestions.

If anyone has taken a pub tour, I'd love to know the name of the best pub you visited.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pub tour

Here are photos and write-ups of a number of pubs/bars in Charleston. This should keep you plenty busy.

…eater.com/archives/2012/11/27/9-iconic-dive…

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pub tour

1) You want a guide for six people at a cost of less than $5 apiece? If you want an entertaining walking tour, pay for it. 2) You want a guide with historical knowledge of the pubs? The "pubs" in Charleston are new businesses in buildings that were typically vacant until 1990 or later. The picturesque sailors' bars have gone out of business. Container ships employ very few men.

A martini in a waterfront bar costs $10. A draft beer at Big John's costs $3. The pub tour will be worth it for $30 if it takes you from Point A to Point B with the least time spent at boring establishments.

If your group wants a private tour for two hours, whether it's churches or bars, you can expect to pay a licensed guide $200 or more.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pub tour

You might want to check private guide costs with the guides themselves. I know of several very good guides with minimum of of less than $200.

Also, the pub tours are not about the the history of today's pubs themselves, but about Charleston's long-time love affair with spirits, the historic events that took place in taverns, the Dispensary Act, Prohibition, etc. The Pub Tours are history tours... it's just the history that is not usually covered during the daytime history tours.

I would suggest that before the DEs discuss what these tours are or are not, they actually take one.

6. Re: pub tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 03:15