We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Christmas Weekend...

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
20 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Special Christmas Weekend...

Hi.

I'm a SC native, bringing my girlfriend to Charleston for her first time.

I decided to stay at Charleston Place, because of their great holiday decor, and the location. We'll be there Dec. 21-24.

Here are my questions:

She has never been to Charleston... she never been to South Carolina. I am very familiar with Charleston and the lowcountry, but I want to ask others...

And I want this to be very special and romantic for her.

(I'm thinking about proposing to her while we're there!)

I'd like any advice on special events going on, places to see, romantic restaurants, and things to do in general.

We are both in our 40s, and very much in love.

Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Congratuations!

Spend a little time reading over the "Top Questions about Charleston" to the top right of this page. It will give you tons of suggestions and you can edit them to the things you think that y'all would enjoy the most. Also, reading over some of the other questions on the Charleston Forum provides loads of info too.

We have FANTASTIC restaurants and everyone has their favorites. A few of mine are.... FIG (Food is Good), Anson, High Cotton and a toss up between SNOB and Magnolia's.

www.eatatfig.com

www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com

www.ansonrestaurant.com

www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com

All the restautants will be busy during this time, make your reservations early!! If you tell them in advance that it is a "romantic dinner" they will try their best to accommodate you with a more secluded table when possible.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Might still be able to make reservations for the Progressive Dinner, it's lots of fun...

http://circa1886.com/restaurant/events/

The Holiday Festival of Lights at James Island County Park is a "do not miss"...

http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=1546

There is another post currently about where to eat either before or after visiting the lights.

Do as Endo says and make dinner reservation ASAP!!!

Enjoy your visit and hope all goes well!!!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Thanks KB for posting the Progressive Dinner link; I am surprised they don't have dates closer to Christmas as they usually do. However, I'm intrigued by the Dickens dinner; I've been to Boone Hall when Tim Lowry has been the story teller there and I've got to say it was an unbelievably memorable experience - he's fantastic!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Think about very small restaurants. Il Cortile del Re. Fulton Five.

Gateway Walk from King Street to the Unitarian Churchyard.

If the moon is full, Sullivans Island is the most romantic evening walk.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

How does one get to James Island from Charleston Place? Is it walkable...we will not have a car.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

James Island is not walkable from Charleston Place. The drive to James Island County Park from the historic district takes 15-20 minutes in normal traffic. During the Festival of Lights, which is an evening drive-through event, one should allow additional time for waiting to enter the park in your car.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Are there any tours that go there? If we used a taxi, would the cost be over $50?

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Yes, a taxi would be expensive. There are not any tours. Depending upon where you want to propose, you may want to rent a limosine, take a bottle of champaigne, and pop the question.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
20 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Thanks for the information.

Regarding restaurants, "82 Queen" used to be an old favorite of mine. However it seems to have lost it's luster lately, according to reviews. what's the deal? I loved their she-crab soup. Would it still be a good place for lunch? I remember that Poogan's Porch was always a good lunch spot too.

Also... what about the Christmas show at the Dock Street Theatre? Has anyone seen it??

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Special Christmas Weekend...

Oh, well. Guess we will give the lights a miss, unless our conference has an excursion there. Any especially pretty areas near Charleston Place to walk around at night?